ST1300 fork rebuild - what parts to buy?

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
At 50K both forks are leaking really bad. I used a SealMate for a while but that wasn't a permanent solution. The previous owner lived on a dirt road and I suspect the forks are pretty gross inside so I'm going to rebuild both forks and be done with it. I'm going to replace all the wear parts, bushings and everything. Anyone know which parts I need to buy to get it all done at the same time? ronayers and bikebandit don't show the fiche for the ST1300 forks so I'm not sure which parts to buy in preparation for my fork rebuild. I'll try to get them from my local dealer but I don't want to trust the parts guy.

Here's a link to the ronayers parts list.

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
that helps! Thanks. So if I'm thinking correctly, I will need:
2 dust seals
2 oil seals
2 upper bushings
2 lower bushings
2 washers ("special washer" #24)
fork oil - qty?

Anything else?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Unless the dust seals are visibly damaged you should be able to reuse them, they're not a normal wear part AFAIK. I've never replaced one in 35 years of riding.

OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Finished up my fork rebuild last night using Honda SS-8 10w fork oil (stock replacement) and the forks ride like new again. :shirt1:
Also, I found that the Honda seals come packaged together with new dust seals also. Bonus!
I also ordered some of those neoprene/velcro fork protectors. Bugs be gone!

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Steve,
Can you jot down what you used and where you bought everything from.
It would be nice to know as I'm coming up to 50,000.
What did the fluid look like.
How did the upper and lower bushings look like.
Curious minds would like to know.

Al

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'd like to know how he got the parts so quickly. two-wheeled confirmed the list of parts, and just 2.5 days later, reports the rebuild as complete. I can only guess that a local dealer had the parts in stock, and the parts are generic across several models (not specific to the ST).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
OP
OP
two_wheeled
Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Yes, my local dealer had it all in stock. Fork seals are pretty common so I'd expect most dealers to stock these. I could have saved a few bucks and waited 10 days for shipping but I'm happy with my local dealer and gave them my business (North Valley Honda in north Phoenix). Total for all parts including 3 bottles of fork oil was around $130 including tax:
2 oil seals
2 dust seals
2 upper bushings
2 lower bushings
2 crush washers
3 bottles Honda SS-8 10W fork oil. Each fork takes 638cc.

The fork oil was pretty dirty. The two upper (smaller) bushings looked perfect on their inner teflon surface, which is the side the forks slide on. The lower (larger) bushings showed some wear on one side of the outer surface.
Here is a picture. Note the black teflon is worn down to the copper on the larger bushings.
Keep in mind, the PO commuted on a dirt road every day. I don't know if he ever serviced the forks. If your bike only sees highway miles you'll probably look even better than these, though new fluid always tends to freshen up the ride a bit. :)
ST1300 bushings.jpg
p.s. this jobs was much easier than I thought it would be. I've rebuilt forks before. These just seemed... easier?

Last edited:
Top Bottom