ST1300 Front Pre-Load

OP
OP
Jay51
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I really do not know what the dealer removed or replaced. They service manager was very defensive about me telling them that the steering had become what I considered a safety issue after they installed the spacers. They removed "it" and he told me afterwards to take my future maintenance elsewhere. Imagine that, after buying a new bike from them in 2015 and having three maintained there for 20+ years. I think his ego was bruised. Anyway, I am a heavy guy 300lbs and the front end is a little dead IMO. Wondering if stronger springs would help?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The ST1300 is sprung for a rider weighing ~150 lbs in street clothes. No amount of additional preload over the stock 200mm amount will accommodate double that. I’d check with aftermarket spring suppliers for a next step. Shoot for a target sag of 36mm with rider at riding weight.

Just as what they did with the front on your bike, "adding pre-load" is really just making a ride-height adjustment. It's called pre-load because the goal is a desired loaded riding height, not the height when sitting unloaded.

I'm referring to the adjustable collar that most bikes have for setting the rear suspension. Most shocks have a stepped collar for four or five settings, while others have a pair of locking rings that are threaded onto the shock body.

The ST1300 has a fluid-powered adjustment that forces oil into the shock, which is all I know about them, and I've read that the adjuster often fails and needs maintenance or repairing. I have no idea what condition yours is in.

I can tell you that it should be working, especially to use correctly in conjunction with your fork modification,, which I would make every effort to keep. If you get the rear sorted out, you'll be much happier with your bike's handling.

The mechanic didn't ruin your bike, he just did only half of the job.
Rear adjuster doesnt force fluid into shock. It uses fluid to push a collar into spring more preloading slring more. You can see collar move.

Top Bottom