Article [13] ST1300 - Lower Steering Stem, Top Bridge, and Steering Bearings Replacement

Despite the initial challenges, I'm ultimately satisfied with the bearings. They provide a more neutral and stable feeling, which aligns well with my preferences. However, I still can't comprehend why they tend to loosen significantly after installation. Do you have any insights or ideas on this matter?
There's 2 variables involved here:

1. pressing in races with washer/cup + big bolt. Definitely better than pounding them in with hammers. But due to compression, it bulges them outwards a little and prevents fully seating them all way down. I've verified this with prussian-blue and removing. So over time, the weight and pounding over bumps will seat them fully and result in needing to adjust tighter.

2. surface break-in takes time as well. If you remove and look after couple thousand miles, you'll see that surface of bearings and races are shiny rather than smooth mat-finish. This removes some material from surfaces as they wear in and results in extra clearance that needs to be adjusted out.

There's 2 variables involved here:

1. pressing in races with washer/cup + big bolt. Definitely better than pounding them in with hammers. But due to compression, it bulges them outwards a little and prevents fully seating them all way down. I've verified this with prussian-blue and removing. So over time, the weight and pounding over bumps will seat them fully and result in needing to adjust tighter.

2. surface break-in takes time as well. If you remove and look after couple thousand miles, you'll see that surface of bearings and races are shiny rather than smooth mat-finish. This removes some material from surfaces as they wear in and results in extra clearance that needs to be adjusted out.
The surface break-in is something to take in account when installing a new set, the need to re-torque in the next thousand miles has to be expected.
That was exactly my question and you are confirming my own experience.
Thank you for sharing.

I have the tapered head bearings in my 07 ST1300 and they have been in there for almost 172,000 miles. I was getting to much play in my handle bars, I started to think that my head bearings were starting to wear. I pulled everything apart and the bearings were in great shape. My problem turned out to be the rubber in the top bridge. I ordered a new top bridge and now that it is installed everything is nice and solid.

The Honda service manual says to use a new lock washer. I realize most owners don't have one of those and rely on youtubers.
Unbecoming reaction coming from you, did you forget having a channel on YouTube? (https://www.youtube.com/@dduelin) :rofl1:
The main point is about explaining the "why" behind things. Where do you find that in the manual?

Last edited:
The Honda Common Service Manual, which is an accompaniment to the Honda model specific service manual, instructs to replace this washer with new. I do not recall it providing any explanation as to why however. Having the reason why is always a benefit in my opinion.

Not reusing things like conical washers and wave washers, another variant, is a standard practice in most mechanical industries. The same applies to other hardware such as snap-rings that do double duty acting as shims to locate a part in a specific position in addition to being a locking device.

Unbecoming reaction coming from you, did you forget having a channel on YouTube? (https://www.youtube.com/@dduelin) :rofl1:
The main point is about explaining the "why" behind things. Where do you find that in the manual?
Are you asking me where does it say to replace the washer in the service manual or why the service manual is written to a level of assumed basic mechanical knowledge?

Most of the service manuals I have encountered assume the user isn’t a rank novice and has some experience working with tools. Unfortunately that’s how it is.

I also don’t understand the desire for your desire for a pound of flesh over my reference to YouTubers. If that comment was taken as disrespectful or directed at you let me personally apologize to you and anyone it offended.

It’s just my own practice to obtain service manuals on vehicles I have. I meant to say in the earlier post that not everyone shares that practice of referring to a service manual and rely on YouTube videos that may or may not include critical information.

Back
Top Bottom