ST1300 Rear shock

I have a 2007 ST1300 with 55,000. miles on it. I noticed on a 3000 mile trip last week, I am getting
quite a " bounce" when going over bumps. Is this repairable or do I have to replace it. I have access to
Nitrogen at any pressure if I need it.

What would cause this bounce?

Thanks

Bill

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The stock shock is rebuildable by certain suspension shops like RaceTech. I guess if I was you I'd check and see if it still damps oscillations like it used to and if changes to the damping make a difference in rebound speed. Have you had this bike for a long time and is this behavior new?

This test will confirm if changes to the rebound adjustment make a difference in damping:

Bike
2004 ST1300
My 2 cents. And agree with the dduelin.

Review your owners Manual on the procedure on how to adjust your rear shock. For one, ensure you have set the preload to your weight. Take into consideration if you ST is loaded or just you riding. Then follow the manual which as I recall turn the dampening knob all the way in (clockwise). Then turn counter-clockwise for minimal dampening (firm ride) and road test the bike. You may want to stop and adjust.
As dduelin mentioned about fixing the problem with an upgrade that's a great idea. I took the plunge and had a complete kit sent to me from Traxxion Dynamics. I bought the new fork seals and bushings from my local dealer. The kit came with properly rated springs for your weight. I found quite a difference in handling using 7 weight fork oil. Same as the Penske Racing shock. However to replace the shock required removing the right side passenger foot peg panel. That opens the banjo bolt to your rear brake line and reserviour. A complete brake bleed is required. Big job but glad I did the upgrade.
Dave

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 2 cents. And agree with the dduelin.

Review your owners Manual on the procedure on how to adjust your rear shock. For one, ensure you have set the preload to your weight. Take into consideration if you ST is loaded or just you riding. Then follow the manual which as I recall turn the dampening knob all the way in (clockwise). Then turn counter-clockwise for minimal dampening (firm ride) and road test the bike. You may want to stop and adjust.
As dduelin mentioned about fixing the problem with an upgrade that's a great idea. I took the plunge and had a complete kit sent to me from Traxxion Dynamics. I bought the new fork seals and bushings from my local dealer. The kit came with properly rated springs for your weight. I found quite a difference in handling using 7 weight fork oil. Same as the Penske Racing shock. However to replace the shock required removing the right side passenger foot peg panel. That opens the banjo bolt to your rear brake line and reserviour. A complete brake bleed is required. Big job but glad I did the upgrade.
Dave
I removed the passenger step plate bolts but did not remove the banjo bolt/disturb the rear master cylinder hydraulic brake circuit. I found just enough clearance by pulling the step plate outboard to slide out the bottom shock bolt. I reversed the OEM orientation of the bolt so the nut was on the outside so the removal of the step plate was not necessary to remove shock the next time.

Top Bottom