ST2, 3, 4, how to tell them apart?

Hi,

I am new to Ducati. (Have had Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and BMW bikes, presently have a BMW R1200C)

I have an opportunity to get a wrecked Ducati ST (It has Sport Touring on it several places, no fairing, front end is gone)

As the front end is totally smashed, the left and right fairings are gone, the engine area is exposed. It has "Sport touring" several places which upon researching tells me it's an ST model. It is liquid cooled, V twin engine. I cannot see the dash board, it's been smashed, too. Is there any way to tell exactly what type and year this motorcycle is? Without the fairing or front end that makes it hard.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup, wrong ST.. albeit very nice STs... I moved to the Ducati sub-forum.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Welcome to the forum.

I only buy wrecked ST1300s, so I couldn't tell you diddly about Ducatis.

OP
OP
LOL how embarrassing... No wonder the engines mentioned are a bit bigger than 1000cc oi.
Yup, wrong ST.. albeit very nice STs... I moved to the Ducati sub-forum.
Thank you so much!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey, you're still an ST-Owner... heck I'm a SuperTenere-owner aka ST-Owner so there ya go...

OP
OP
Hey, you're still an ST-Owner... heck I'm a SuperTenere-owner aka ST-Owner so there ya go...
How do you like it? That is actually my first pick of ADV bikes, due to it being Yamaha (Bulletproof) and having shaft drive (Anything better?). The only thing that kind of makes me pause is I heard that you need to remove the engine to do a valve adjustment? Worth it, I guess, honestly.

Sorry to hijack my own thread XD

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How do you like it? That is actually my first pick of ADV bikes, due to it being Yamaha (Bulletproof) and having shaft drive (Anything better?). The only thing that kind of makes me pause is I heard that you need to remove the engine to do a valve adjustment? Worth it, I guess, honestly.

Sorry to hijack my own thread XD
No, the engine stays in.. It's not fun to do that's for sure and the ST1300 is actually easier believe it or not... but, the engine stays in.

_IMG_20161207_090454.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Hi,

I am new to Ducati. (Have had Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and BMW bikes, presently have a BMW R1200C)

I have an opportunity to get a wrecked Ducati ST (It has Sport Touring on it several places, no fairing, front end is gone)

As the front end is totally smashed, the left and right fairings are gone, the engine area is exposed. It has "Sport touring" several places which upon researching tells me it's an ST model. It is liquid cooled, V twin engine. I cannot see the dash board, it's been smashed, too. Is there any way to tell exactly what type and year this motorcycle is? Without the fairing or front end that makes it hard.
Japanese bikes made since the 1960's have a data plate stuck onto the steering head, just below the handlebars. Tells the model and date of manufacture.

Hi,

ST3 will say DesmoTre on the engine belt cover. If I remember correctly, ST2 is air cooled, ST3 and ST4 will be liquid cooled. ST4 has 2 cams per head. Tail sections of all 3 are identical. Pics of the engine would be helpful, and if there's anything left of the dash, that might help narrow it down...

Top Bottom