Stainless Steel Exhaust clamps?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
This thread is just in time. I broke one on the weekend. Current temp fix is a stainless hose clamp with the worm gear that tightens the serrations in the strap.

1664926764081.png

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
The Mikalor's come in two 'stainless' grades. One (W4 I think) is full stainless, the other (W2?) is a stainless band but plain steel thread (less likely to gall, but will obviously corrode quite quick down there)

Plenty of antiseize on the W4's :)

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I noticed my St/St clamps were starting to split when I removed the rear wheel for a new tyre a few months ago.
So I replaced them both with these standard 58mm exhaust clamps, had to extend the Main Stand rubber stop but that wasn't a problem.

DSCN0158.JPG

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
So I replaced them both with these standard 58mm exhaust clamps, ......
I can't tell from the picture if those are flat band clamps, or if they are standard automotive guillotine type of exhaust clamps. If they are the guillotine type, they are designed to deform the exhaust pipes as they are tightened to force a good seal. This is not a problem on a car where the exhaust is not intended to be removed once installed. On the ST1300, loosening the exhaust is required every tire change, so prudence to not over-tighten these.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Replaced both sides OEM clamps and graphite gaskets with the same a few tire changes ago. It was a pricey "preventative", but since I seem to put on new rubber 2 days before a big trip I didn't want to risk being down if one broke.
For reference, the original clamps on my '08 were "cycled" a total of 21 times and still haven't broke.
Make sure you squirt the threads with some liquid wrench before loosening, and at least loosely follow the torque spec (i.e. do NOT over-tighten).

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Princess Auto also sells the stainless T-bolt "muffler" clamps. 51-59mm / 1.75" ID.

Cheaper than the ones I bought off Amazon by a few cents.

$14.99 in a pack of 6 (3 pair of different sized) or about $4.99 each.

tboltset.JPGtbolt.JPG

I had the same thing happen to me with the clamp breaking, With the seals on the connection I went to a heavy duty constant tension hose clamp. No exhaust leak and no deformation of the pipe. Easy to loosen and cheap to replace.

Top Bottom