Stalling at speed and right two headers cool?

STOC #
My buddy has an 06 connie with 60K miles. Stalled on him while on hiway lately..Started back up after 1/2hr.. Thought maybe a vapour lock.
Then he also noted harder to start now. When shifting gears the revs dont drop. And the left two headers measure 500 degrees when fully warmed
up and running for an hour or so BUT the right two are only 220 degrees.
He contacted a couple guys on the COG board and they were stumped for now and suggested maybe seafoam and rebuilding carbs.. He will get
more answers there but I was wondering if anybody here with the st1100 had seen something like this before?
thanks

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My ST1300 did something similar one time and it was the coil on the cool side of the V4. There are two coils and the one fires the two cylinders on that side. When good and hot the coil or the primary (12V) circuit on that side broke down and misfired.

Bike
2010 ST1300
06 would be a ST1300
He said 'twas a connie - this is NOT an ST.

Sounds like he is not firing on all cylinders, but I'd expect the loss of power to be noticeable. If he has lost a cylinder, then its back to standard troubleshooting. Every cylinder needs fuel/air mix, spark, and compression. Should not be too difficult to diagnose.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
If the engine is an inline four, the two inner cylinders share one coil and the outer two share the other one.

For two cylinders on one side to fail to fire, the issue must be something they share, like a fuel line tee, etc.

Added: Or, a blown head gasket between the pair of cylinders would reduce compression in both of them.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
My bosses Triumph Sprint had a dead cylinder at low rpm. Stalled a lot and ran weird. Exhaust pipe cool on one cylinder. Inspection proved the ignition wire had corroded off at the coil, and was making intermittent contact. New wires fixed it right up. Basics first.

RT

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Ps. Forgot to add. no loss of power and revs freely to red line which is 10500 rpm and he has stick coils one for each cyl

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
My buddy took apart all the carbs, cleaned and adjusted everything on them he could. Back on and bike is running great again with all headers the same temperature

Last edited:
Top Bottom