Starcom headset extension works with IMC

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi All,

I've had a couple IMC headset extensions go out and so I started looking for one that would work a little better and maybe last longer. I'm on and off a lot and probably abuse the plug more than I should.

The Starcom headset extension works but it's not quite a perfect fit. The plug that goes into the lead from the IMC unit doesn't quite go all the way in. It will plug in but not seat all the way.

With a sharp knife I narrowed the headset extension plug a little to take off the edge that is on there and it fits fine. The extension is also a little longer than the IMC which I don't really like but the cable seems to have a little tougher casing on it.

Now although the Starcom extension is $2 cheaper it costs $10 to get it shipped so it's still cheaper to order the IMC one.

Just thought I would put this up for IMC users to let you know you have another option if you want it. Now remeber my IMC has about 80000 miles on it so it is probably a little more used than most.

Curt

Last edited:

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
Curt, those IMC cords are regular PS/2 style cables. I picked up a couple for a few dollars each and they work great.

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Ken said:
Curt, those IMC cords are regular PS/2 style cables. I picked up a couple for a few dollars each and they work great.
Are they coiled? I know they are PS/2 jacks but I couldn't find any cords that were light weight and coiled. Where did you find yours?

Curt

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Ken said:
I went with regular cables, but the coiled PS2 cables are out there if you want to pay a bit more: http://www.worldofcables.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=6050

Places like CompUSA will usually carry them too, although the ones labeled for keyboards are more commonly the coiled variety.
Thanks for the link. I guess I'm wondering if that plug will work or need to be modded like the one I got because it won't plug all the way in. Also it looks heavy and it's not black. :)

Well it's still half price. That's what I like about the IMC is that it uses standard connectors which is pretty kick @$$.

Curt

Ken

Bike
2009 Goldwing
STOC #
I had to trim about 1/4 inch to give it a proper fit too. There are black ones out there, but I needed something quickly and went with the dingy beige ones. Maybe this Winter I'll have time to find some proper black (inexpensive) coiled cables. If I do I'll be sure to shoot you the link.

I was sorry to hear about the two IMC failures in another thread. I've been completely impressed with my MIT-100 since I installed it - the sound quality is better than I could have hoped for. And now that the ST13 has been replaced with a 919, I'm on a mission to put together some NiCad cells and run it independently from the tank bag (I'm looking for total portability this time around). Looks like about 10 sub-c cells will run it for a good 14 hours before a charge is necessary!

Top Bottom