starting issue (97 GL1500)

Bike
2004 st1300
The PO of my NTM 97 gl1500 (32,000 miles)told me that he had had 2 episodes where the bike wouldn't start. He said both times he bump started it and everything was fine. He couldn't offer any insight as to the circumstance that brought it on.

So today it did it to me. The lights dimmed when the button is pressed, reverse light wouldn't come on-(neutral light was on before I tried reverse) but no start action and no reverse.

Remembering a 58 Ford I had that would have the starter lock up occasionally, I put it in 4th and rocked it backwards a few times. after 3 attempts, it started perfectly.

Thoughts? do I have a starter problem, solenoid problem,relay problem, reverse problem, gremlin problem or ??

TIA

Re: starting issue

Did you hear the solenoid click when button pressed? If yes you may have bad starter or low voltage to starter.If no you may have have bad solenoid or no voltage at "s" terminal@ solenoid work your way back towards starter switch with voltmeter.this may be difficult as you need to diagnose this when it wont start.I once had a vehicle that would do this once a month,I temporarily wired a LED test light to starter when the vehicle got to the point where it would not start checked light it was on= bad starter.be fore you start this project get a wiring diagram and trace all related circuits so you can figure out the theory of operation PS even if you hear the solenoid click it may be bad!check with volt meter good luck

Re: starting issue

I would check the main fuse and solenoid first. I don't know if the 1500's is designed like the older ones and the ST1100's but if they are it will overheat and sporadically quit before it fails completely

no click at all from the solenoid that I heard, but then my hearing isn't that great. I'll start there, thanks for the info. I'll also check the main fuse-Can I see any indication it's going bad?

Back
Top Bottom