starting problem

Bike
2005 ST1300
I installed a new battery and changed over to full synthetic this weekend. When i tried to start it all i got was a dim headlight(i expect) and a kind of a clicking sound on the left side of the bike under the side cover. Not at the solenoid like i would expect. After a few more tries and pulling the clutch in it started. It has started from that time on. Just wondering if this has happened to others and what the fix is or is this just a freak kind of thing. The bike is a 05 ST1300 25k oh the clock. thanks Michael

Last edited:
Sounds like an initial loose connection that probably welded itself when the starter drew enough amps. I'd re-check the connections to be safe.

It's the full synthetic you switched to it will do it every time :smile:

The battery connections may have been tight at the battery, and it was good to double check, but what about the other ends of those battery cables? For instance, when you disconnected the cables could you have pulled on them enough to upset the other side of the connection? Perhaps the other ends of those battery wires are loose and that is why the battery needed replacing in the first place - it was getting charged properly due to the semi-loose connections.

I'm leaning toward a battery that was just weak when installed and has since been charged up enough that it's no longer a problem. Running the starter probably dropped the battery voltage enough that all of the relays (all of which are under the left side cover) all dropped out at once.

--Mark

I just bought the bike. It had the original battery and he did not ride much the last year. I bought a new battery and charged it. I will check the ground and hot cable. It still does it once in awhile. I keep pushing the starter button and it usually fires. After 5-7 tries. I can still hear a bump kinda thud coming from the left side cover. Its gotta be broke before i can fix it. thanks for the help. I will keep posting and maybe figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom