starting woes

02 st 1100 trying to wake it up, after winter . put battery in, It wont turn on the starter . The clock goes out when I try, had dashboard lights briefly, once, but they went out when I tried to start it. The 30 amp relay fuse is ok . I think the starter may be the problem. suggestions ? Thanks Frankly.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
One of two problems, either your battery is dead, or there's corrosion in a critical electrical path. Google "red wire bypass" and you'll find the details on the corrosion.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Easy enough to rule out the starter… just jumper past the relay.

BTW, you might want to edit your post to add “ST1100” in the subject line. Coulda posted in the ST1100 subforms too.

John

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Had this with a friend's bike. I was convinced it was the battery with the test kit I had with me. Checked the red wire plug/socket and it looked fine. Disconnected the battery and took it home to try a discharge test with a headlight bub and it was perfect. Put the battery back with proper bolts and it started right up and has been OK since. I concluded that a poor connection on a battery post was the problem.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I concluded that a poor connection on a battery post was the problem.
yeah, that possibility also crossed my mind a while after I posted, when I read his post again and noticed he had recently re-installed the battery. Good idea to check those connections, that would also have similar symptoms to what the OP reported.

OP
OP
battery was on tender all winter had 12.6 volts on my meter , will check connections and look up the bypass test , try that next . Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions , Frankly

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Had this happen once. Battery posts looked good, connectors looked ok too. Cleaned up everything with fine sandpaper and it started up fine.

Concluded there must have been a thin film of corrosion that allowed lights to come on, clock to run, but couldn't handle the load related to running the starter. After this happened I did a better job of cleaning up everything at the start of the season and then did same mid season as well as insurance.

I always try the cheap and simple things first before digging into it in depth.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I use a blue spray (made by WUERTH) of dedicated battery terminal protection grease... inhibits the nasty white crystallization on battery posts...

OP
OP
seemed there was some film on the one of the battery connectors that I missed, and the starter button seemed sticky as i operated it, so I gave it a couple of shots of contact cleaner , seemed to loosen it up, and cleaned battery terminal as well, and bike started up, has been fine since . So, which ever worked .... Thanks again to everyone who offered advice ! Frankly

Top Bottom