Steady fuel leak out of drain hose under engine....

I have a steady fuel leak (think stream of pee) out of one of the 2 drain hoses on the underside of the bike (ETA: 03 ST1300)

Started this afternoon when I had to break the gas cap lock to get it open. Then I filled the tank all the way up & clicked the cap back in place using a screwdriver to get it to latch again....

At first I thought it was just overflow (some fuel did spill down the tank top drain), but now there is a constant stream of fuel and the tank is down to 3/4..... There was some debris in the stream that flowed down the hose from the cap area, so it is coming out the cap drain hose....

What else is that hose connected to and why am I suddenly leaking gas?

Also, no, I haven't lifted the tank or moved it off the frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
It's an 03.

The hose that the fuel is leaking out of is the larger of the 2 & at present I have plugged it with a golf tee and hose clamp.

I'm replacing the OEM cap with a twist on vented one (dont need it to lock), so if this leak is caused by the cap not being airtight then I don't know what to do as the golf tee really isn't a long term fix....

The larger tube you refer to is an overflow tube, the smaller tube vents the tank. The overflow tube also drains water that leaks in around the gas cap when it rains or the bike is washed. My overflow tube recently got stopped up and I suspected that the hose was plugged up by mud daubers, the usual thing that happens in my location. This turned out not to be the case. My problem was that the metal tube that runs through the tank was plugged by debris. I took off the upper tank from the bike to repair the problem. The reason for this round about explanation is that I was not aware that there was a drain tube that actually runs inside the tank until I took it off and started inspection with a mirror and flashlight. Since your bike is streaming gas out the overflow tube, I suspect that that metal tube that runs through the tank has been compromised and has a hole in it. You could check this by putting a little compressed air through the overflow opening by the gas cap and if there are bubbles appearing in the gas in the tank, you have found the problem. I don't know how this might be repaired... it may require a new upper tank. That is my take on it...

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Zombie thread...........4 years old......wonder if he ever figured out what was causing the leak :rofl1:

Top Bottom