STerling’s right fork.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
New fork seals. Left side done. Right side couldn’t get the bottom bolt out.

Butterfly wrench with long 6mm hex, broke it loose but didn’t come out. Loose enough that oil was leaking at the bottom but the threaded insert in the damper was spinning. Hours of frustration as none of the tips or tricks worked.

attempted, finally, to drill the head off the bolt but failed there too as the bolt would just spin. Tried to pin it in place and made some progress but it kept spinning.

final solution: drilled through the lower fork leg with a small bit into the shank of the bolt. Left the drill bit in place to pin the bolt and finally drilled off the head of the bolt.

with the damper rod in hand, clamped the bottom with vice grips and used a second set to remove the stub. Just enough tension to hold the threaded insert stationary. No damage to any internal parts.

I will need to fill those samm holes in the fork leg to prevent leaks.

Have to wonder why the threaded insert isn’t pinned to the outer shell of the dampener rod?

Attachments

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I've had similar issues but an electric impact had enough of a hammering action that it took the bolt out. I had to keep hitting the trigger many times and each hit it would slowly unscrew it. I would thread those holes and epoxy some small set screws into them.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Are you saying the bolt had enough resistance in its threads so that as you turned it the lower part of the damper rod was turning along with it?

If so, I'd chase those threads so its easier to remove the next time.

did the "tips and tricks" involve an impact driver and it still wouldn't break loose?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've had similar issues but an electric impact had enough of a hammering action that it took the bolt out. I had to keep hitting the trigger many times and each hit it would slowly unscrew it. I would thread those holes and epoxy some small set screws into them.
I was thinking the same thing, but I'd use stainless steel set screws and use blue locktite so they are removable (for next time you have this problem). Alternatively, someone can TIG weld the holes shut and you would have to refinish (paint) that lower fork leg.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
final solution: drilled through the lower fork leg with a small bit into the shank of the bolt. Left the drill bit in place to pin the bolt and finally drilled off the head of the bolt.
Ouch! :(
Last time I performed this task (like 3 weeks ago on my '00) I faced the same thing, but simply flipped the (re-assembled) fork upside down and compressed it against the floor (so the spring pushed the aluminum insert into the bottom) and gave it a whirl with the cordless impact wrench... bolt came right out...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Hmmm, normally that bolt comes out without any problems, strange to hear of this happening three times. I think most people have been able to remove the bolt with a regular ratchet from what I've read over the years (and experienced myself).

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Are you saying the bolt had enough resistance in its threads so that as you turned it the lower part of the damper rod was turning along with it?

If so, I'd chase those threads so its easier to remove the next time.

did the "tips and tricks" involve an impact driver and it still wouldn't break loose?
I did retap the threads, they were very dirty. New bolt and washer ready to reinstall. Also new tire has arrived so it can be reassembled. As always, PITA until completed.

I'm getting too old for this.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I did retap the threads, they were very dirty.
The abraded metal particles in there bake everything together...
This is why IMHO a frequent overhaul/cleaning gets important; I try to maintain a 36,000km/22Kmiles regime...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm getting too old for this.
you know, I wonder about this as I age. On one hand, I'm guessing retirement gives you more time to spend doing these jobs (I'm not quite there, but in practice mode) so you can take your time and go slowly. On the other hand, the body doesn't improve with age, does it, so bending over and working on things lower than benchtop level gets harder every year.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
On the other hand, the body doesn't improve with age, does it, so bending over and working on things lower than benchtop level gets harder every year.
You're not kidding.

I had no aches or pains all of my life. I got the sh@#t knocked out of me in 2011 when I was clobbered by a drunk driver. I eventually got over that with out any lasting pains, or so I thought. Now I ache all over from everywhere that was broken and smashed up in that accident.

Haha.. good one.. At least you didn't give up. I can't help wondering if an impact and some easing oil around the bolt leaving it to soak at the beginning of the process would have made it easier?

Top Bottom