Still cannot get bike to charge!

Bike
ST1100-L
I am still having issues with non-charging.

I just fitted today a brand new Etronics RR23 Regulator rectifier, but still not charging.

I have tested the 3 yellow wires from the alternator and have continuity between the 3, I have tested the resistance and all 3 are showing 0.6ohms. I have continuity from the black/white plug as well.

Should I bet getting continuity from the main solenoid fuse socket? if I try testing this, I am getting non. I remember when I borrowed the fuse from there to get me home when my bypass melted the bike stopped charging. Once I replaced the fuse it started again to charge.

When I test the socket with the meter and no fuse connected, there is no continuity.

Ive not been able to ride the dam bike in over a year due to issues, and I really want to start riding her again.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Insufficient charging is not actual problem, it's just symptoms or side-effects of real fault, which is most likely short in wiring-harness that's blowing your 30a fuse and draining your battery when bike is off.

Is 30a fuse still blowing?
Are there any other fuses blowing or wires melting?

When I test the socket with the meter and no fuse connected, there is no continuity.
Yup, shouldn't be any continuity with no fuse plugged in.

First, let's test for shorts on main-fuse circuit with 30-amp fuse pulled, everything OFF.

0. set meter to lowest resistance range. Touch red & black probe tips
together. Ohms = ??? This is instrument's offset/error.
Subtract this number from all resistance-measurements below.

1. measure resistance between 30a fuse's red terminal to chassis-ground, ohms = ???

2. measure resistance between 30a fuse's red/wht terminal to chassis-ground, ohms = ???

Next, let's do some more testing to see if you're getting sufficient power out of charging system.

3. measure AC-voltage out of stator windings at idle: A-B, B-C, C-A, VAC1,2,3=???

4. measure AC-voltage out of stator windings at 2500rpm: A-B, B-C, C-A, VAC1,2,3=???

5. measure DC-voltage out of regulator red/wht wire at idle & 2500rpm. VDC1,2=???

6. measure DC-voltage at starter-solenoid red/wht wire at idle & 2500rpm. VDC1,2=???

7. measure DC-voltage at battery +pos terminal at idle & 2500rpm. VDC1,2=???

In 99.99% of cases, all parts are perfectly fine, nothing is broken. It's the connectors and wiring in between that's most often problem. So what we're doing is testing wiring to see how well or not well it's conducting electricity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom