Strange Pilot Road 3 wear

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
It's the wearing out PR3s at 6k that isn't normal....

My PR2s (I've had too many sets to remember) lasted at least 10 to 12K...
Excactly! My current rear PR3 is wearing faily evenly across the tread but I'll be lucky if it makes 7K miles before I have to replace it! I got 11K out my PR2, and over 10K on both the previous PR3's and could have got more but had long trips coming up. I'm anal about my tire pressure and riding conditions have been pretty much the same...go figure. However I like the PR3 and will run it once again and hope for better results. The current front PR3 looks like it will go 15K.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
According to our MSL instructors does this in particular apply on right-handed people... (vice versa for the left-handed)... probably some conjunction with (right hand) counter-steering and positioning of the head while looking far into a left turn/bend... can any left-handed people out there dis/confirm?
Left/Right handed is the easy answer, but I don't believe you'll find many experienced instructors who believe it's correct. I've trained close to 6000 people, and several dozen instructors, across several levels of curricula over the years, and I find this not to be the case. Most of the students, who are comfortable in either direction, are right handed - statistically it has little to nothing to do with it. From student discussion on the topic, the most prolific and consistent observation has been that it is a matter of confidence directly related to maintaining steady throttle operation, which most find more difficult when leaning right due to the angle of their wrist, while maintain smooth pressure on that grip to control the lean angle. The right hand is doing double duty from a less natural position. I know from practicing demos for advanced courses, and track time that this is the one thing I have to work on the most to get good symmetry in my corners.

Another common, yet questionable element, is lane orientation. A lot of riders in right lane countries will correlate comfort with lefts having to do with the extended sight line to the left - makes sense. Yet, those who drive on the left side of the road, the significant majority are also more comfortable to the left and attribute that to the positive road camber of the crown - also makes sense, but they seem to contradict each other.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
My left side always wears more than the right; it's normal
Well that's good to know, I got 11,000 out of this road pilot II is that ok for mileage? I corner pretty hard.

I checked the air pressure yesterday after the bike had been sitting for a couple of months, and it was 33 which it sounds like a little too low, and I learned to be more proactive with bike and especially tire inspections in the future. DOH!

20150304_174842_resized_1.jpg

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Well that's good to know, I got 11,000 out of this road pilot II is that ok for mileage? I corner pretty hard.

I checked the air pressure yesterday after the bike had been sitting for a couple of months, and it was 33 which it sounds like a little too low, and I learned to be more proactive with bike and especially tire inspections in the future. DOH!

20150304_174842_resized_1.jpg

Are those the cords showing through? I don't think too many riders are going to get 11,000 miles out of a tire if it means riding until the cords are visible. I would have replaced that tire long ago. Too great a risk of a flat which would be inconvenient at best.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Are those the cords showing through? I don't think too many riders are going to get 11,000 miles out of a tire if it means riding until the cords are visible. I would have replaced that tire long ago. Too great a risk of a flat which would be inconvenient at best.
Yeah trust me that's not something I did on purpose. Same thing happened on my last set, came back from a 3500 mile grand canyon trip to discover the rear tire looking way worse than that one in the picture. I need to start paying attention more.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
There's a very plausible explanation for this. Its to do with where you live - or to be precise, the side of the road on which you ride.

Think about it. You drive on the right. When you take a left hander, you are on the outside of the bend. Take the same bend in the opposite direction, it is shorter. You cover more distance leaning to the left than you do leaning to the right.

Here in the uk, its the right side that wears down more. That is one theory anyway.

The other suggestion is to do with the road camber.
Yeah I heard that and have researched it today, its interesting and makes sense.

Top Bottom