Stupid Parts Question

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
OK, I went to do some work on the 04 ST1300ABS and took the seat off. Sitting in below the seat is a long black rod with a white connector on it that looks like it is supposed to hold the rod secure. The trouble is I've never seen this before, and it isn't the tank support rod. What the heck is it and where does it go and what does it do???? I'll post pics of it and the tank support rod (I thought it was anyway :) ). I don't post pics often so hope they show up. I don't think the part is a major thing but just hadn't seen it before and curious.

JDP

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 74
I've never seen that rod before; I doubt it is native to the 1300.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that wiring job is sure to generate an issue "down the road".

Does your bike have a riserplate for the handlebars...??
This might be a custom tank rod for the different distances??

Weak theory... no flames please

Does your bike have a riserplate for the handlebars...??
This might be a custom tank rod for the different distances??

Weak theory... no flames please

Hey, that's a good a guess as any. It looks a lot to me like a factory tank support rod that was modified.

--Mark

I've never seen that rod before; I doubt it is native to the 1300.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that wiring job is sure to generate an issue "down the road".

Gee First Strike, I didn't think you could see much of the wiring in that last pic, :) . Actually, the wiring goes to a fuse block and sure hope no issues. Anyway, the two pics on the left and middle are of the rod I've not seen before. It was directly under the front seat. If it is the tank support, what is the copper looking one that was located over the rear fender beside the tool box area? That is the only rod I have used for the tank support. So which is which? I've searched on parts fiche but no go. Curious still. And no it has nothing to do with risers.

JDP

Gee First Strike, I didn't think you could see much of the wiring in that last pic, :) . Actually, the wiring goes to a fuse block and sure hope no issues. Anyway, the two pics on the left and middle are of the rod I've not seen before. It was directly under the front seat. If it is the tank support, what is the copper looking one that was located over the rear fender beside the tool box area? That is the only rod I have used for the tank support. So which is which? I've searched on parts fiche but no go. Curious still. And no it has nothing to do with risers.

JDP

I don't recognize the rod in the left and middle photo.

The rod in the right photo (which shows all the wires) is the one supplied by the factory for supporting the raised tank. FWIW, this rod is not stowed "properly" in the photo. One end tucks under the wires on the left side and runs almost to the rear turn signal (on the inside of course). The other end runs to about where you have a fuse holder; if you look closely at that area of the rear fender, you will see features molded in the fender plastic to capture that rod.

Last edited:
"FWIW, this rod is not stowed "properly" in the photo."

Uh, yeah, I kinda know that. I just laid it across a convenient place to shoot the picture. Prior to that it was stowed in it's proper location. The more I think of it, that black bar with the white thingie (that obviously fits into a precut hole and holds the bar in place) may be a strut of some kind either behind the air box, near rear of fuel tank or something since last thing I worked on prior to lifting tank yesterday was new FPR, air cleaner etc. I'll do more checking today. Thanks for replies.

JDP

Back
Top Bottom