Super Tenere - Easier Rear Wheel Removal/Installation

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've always had issues removing the rear wheel - the wheel always walks away from the dampeners/hub as it doesn't always slide off the final drive splines and once that happens I typically have to pull out the dampeners to get it off.

Similarly, when installing it, sometimes it goes right into the final drive but while I'm holding the wheel still and trying to line up the brake caliper bracket and axle, the hub may walk a little on the dampeners and make things tough.

So, the last couple of times I tried using Gorilla tape and it works great!

Simply take 2 strips and slide them between the final drive and hub and tape it to the wheel, it keeps the hub in place when you are removing the wheel, you may still need a screw driver to help push the hub out of the final drive but this keeps the dampeners in place.

When installing the wheel, I use 2 strips again and the hub won't walk out of the wheel as many times I have a tough time lining up the splines with the final drive, sometimes it goes right in and sometimes it feels like I have the wrong wheel LOL The tape comes off easily once you have the wheel secured.

Anyway, just a tip the works for me so maybe it will help others and sorry if it's already been posted.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
Probably a stupid question but why isn't it as easy as removing the rear wheel from my Vfr800 for example? the wheel just bolts on like a car wheel onto 4 bolts.

Ps. sorry my bad,I thought the super10 had a single side swingarm;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Probably a stupid question but why isn't it as easy as removing the rear wheel from my Vfr800 for example? the wheel just bolts on like a car wheel onto 4 bolts.

Ps. sorry my bad,I thought the super10 had a single side swingarm;)
Yup, the design is more like the ST1100 but the ST1100 wheel comes off more easily. The ST1300 wheel has a large ring clip holding the hub to the wheel.

The Triumph Explorer and BMW GS are single sided swing arms.. I sure wish the Super Ten was as well but I'm okay with it.

Top Bottom