Suspension setting vs. corner handling

Don't ask me why, but I was checking the rear shock and damper settings. I can only guess when I bought the ST I set the rear shock at 4 and the appropriate damper setting due to the rough roads here and the frequency of riding 2 up.

JFTHOI I set it back down to 2, which the manual calls "normal". I'm not a big cornering expert, but it seems squishier in the corners. Is it my imagination or does a stiffer setting help through the corners?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
The sag (front and back) should be set according to your riding style and weight.
I found that when I installed the hyperpro at 54k miles (and stiffer front springs) the handling improved more than I thought possible.

So the answer would be "why yes it does"...:D

Mark

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Mine is cranked as 'hard' as it will go.... I'm 285lbs and have no chicken strips (except for about 1/8 of inch on the front tire) and do not scrape my pegs... :22yikes:
:cool:

OP
OP
Thanks for the tips. I have a 1100. I hope that doesn't change the advice. BTW I weigh 165 and my wife 110. We don't carry a lot of gear but as I said the roads here are anything but smooth.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
John,

I don't believe setting sag is dependent on the type of STreet bike.
Those instructions of Raven's are about what was taught at the Lee Park's Advanced Rider Course too. And we had from naked liter bikes to gold wings represented.

You'll have to do the work twice because you ride 2 up some times and you'll switch it back and forth between the 2 settings.

2up you might be pushing the limit on an older shock (roughly treated or high mileage and I don't remember how many miles you have on your bike) so STart saving for a rear shock...

Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
What would be the indication the shock needs replacing? Bottoming on bumps? The bike only has 55K km (34K mi). I never noticed any problems with the shock even since I've loosened it up except as I mentioned in the corners. I would have to take it out and change the settings mid-ride in order to see the difference. As you correctly stated, I would have to do the test again 2up. Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
When it feels like it is set on the lowest setting and you find it is on the hardest setting you'll know it is time... :)

Mark

Top Bottom