Suspension Upgrade Timeframe???

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
After what seemed an eternity (like two or three weeks), my loaner shock and new spring is finally being shipped (I say eternity because my old shock is shot). I bit the bullet and ordered new springs and gold valves for the front as part of the same order. Later today the bike goes in for the rear brake hose recall. I figured that I could inspect/verify the recall work (and re-bleed brake fluid) while doing the shock and spring replacement.

My question is how many days should I plan for when replacing the rear shock and rebuilding the forks? I have a three day weekend coming up, and wonder if that time frame is sufficient. I've never done forks before, though I have years experience rebuilding hydraulic valves and general wrenching. I also have the shop manual and a full mechanic shop at home, so data and tools shouldn't present any delays.

Second question, for those who've gone before me... Is there anything else to be concerned about or that I should be checking while I have everything apart? I have very little motorcycle suspension experience, and would really, really like to nail this on the first time through. Do I need to check head bearings or any of that other mystical stuff. She's got 25K miles, and I've been known to 'slightly' exceed posted speed limit and/or scrape the pegs.

Thanks for the 411,
Mark

P.S., Roger, thanks for the loaner and I'll be sending you my old unit in a couple weeks. Could not have pulled this off without your gracious help.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Rear shock replacement takes very little time. Dialing it in takes a 2nd person to measure while you sit on the bike (load the bags with what you 'normally' have in them too.
Front shock with Gold Valves; I haven't seen anyone put them in; but, I would be really surprised if it took over 1 day (really 1/2 a day of work with riding and adjusting inbetween is my guess).

Top Bottom