Suzuki GSX 1250. What Do You Know?

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I am looking for and lusting after another bike. Why, you may ask? I don't know.

I am trying to justify it by "buying it for my son". He is a new rider and I bought a 600 Shadow for him last year to break him in. Of course, dear old Dad has decided what the son needs is a 650 VStrom. He countered with one I have not seen in person, and only saw in pictures tonight.

With the exception of hanging out with Dinkie Diesel on occassion, I live a very sedate and sheltered life. So, until tonight, I had not seen the GSX 1250 Suzuki Katana. It looks good and sounds like it might be an awesome ride.

Would some of the wise and knowledgable members of this board care to enlighten me about the Katana? I have to admit, the son seems to have an eye. But, he is shopping with Dad's money.

Thanks for your help.

John

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
So is this bike going to be for you or your son? Maybe I'm a little bit daft this morning but I can't tell. How has he handled the 600 Shadow up to now? Do you feel that he is ready to step up to this bike? There appears to be quite a bit of data out there if you google it.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
See this thread:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?102015-1250FA-Bandit&highlight=bandit

and look at my comments there. Simply put, I love this motorcycle, but a few thoughts:

The 1250 isn't a Katana. The '07 to '09 versions are Bandits. The 2011 (there was no 2010) is simply the GSX1250FA. The Katanas were different bikes, and not very appealing in my mind.

Do you see your son actually riding this? If so, how old and how responsible is your son? This is a bike that can get an inexperienced rider (and even an experienced one) in trouble in a hurry. It pulls like a combination of a locomotive and a fighter jet. I've never owned a bike that hits harder when you yank on the throttle, and wheelies come easy. Also, note that the '07 to '09 Bandits are mechanically the same, and a whole lot cheaper, than the 2011 FA. If you hunt around, you can still find new, leftover '08s and '09s, both with and without ABS. Used ones are harder to find, because it's never been a big seller, but they're out there, and even cheaper.

OP
OP
John

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Scott and Bob,

Thanks for the input. I know much more about the 1250 FA now than I did when I posted the request for info.

I was trying to convince my son to let me switch him to a Wee. He brought up the 1250 instead. No Way. After reading some reviews, I am convinced beyond a doubt this would not be a bike for a novice rider. It does look interesting though.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Yep, very interesting, and a heck of a lot of fun. NOT for a novice, though. You're right about that.

Might consider the GSX 650F. Largely the same bike as the 1250 with with a more mildly tuned 650cc 4 cylinder. Not slow by any means, but not as fast as the 1250. Or, if he's looking for more of a sport bike than the Wee, but you don't want something with more performance than the Wee, look at the SV650. Same basic engine as the wee, in a great handling street package.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Don't blame me for your inadequacies! :D

I'll bet you could tell enough to help make your decision by how Ryan navigates around on the 600 whether or not he could handle a 1250. My buddy has one and I did ride it down the subdivision street. Plenty of grunt. Not as refined as our STs. There's a thread on here about a 1250 somewhere. I think they can be had for a song.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Not sure what you mean by "refined." It's not a sport touring bike in the vein of the ST for sure, but the engine on my Bandit is even smoother at most rpm than my ST's motor was. If the one you rode wasn't smooth, it needs a throttle body sync.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Mines a little buzzy at high rpm, but by then I'm at seriously extra-legal speeds. At low rpm it's actually smoother than the V4. A very impressive engine. It matches or exceeds the ST's peak torque from about 3000 rpm all the way to red-line. I've inadvertently pulled away from a stop sign in 3rd gear without much distress.

OP
OP
John

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Don't blame me for your inadequacies! :D

I'll bet you could tell enough to help make your decision by how Ryan navigates around on the 600 whether or not he could handle a 1250. My buddy has one and I did ride it down the subdivision street. Plenty of grunt. Not as refined as our STs. There's a thread on here about a 1250 somewhere. I think they can be had for a song.
You are correct sir. There is no way I would let him throw a leg over that bike at this stage. He does just fine on the 600 Shadow. The idea for the Wee is mine and his counter with the 1250 kind of blew me away. If I really thought he wanted a sport tourer, I would be in the market for another ST. But, that would spoil my plans to have a different type of bike available for me to ride.

might consider a vfr800...maybe with bags...should still find some new ones left-overs...at a decent $...just a thought...

Top Bottom