switchbacks

so i think i have finally found the kit is have installed on the ST1300
it looks very basic indeed, the issue i have is the one led base has come loose and the bumps sorta turn it on and off
im thinking of buying some connectors and installing the other set i have that have just 3 wires sticking out and come with a plug in relay.
on the others which ill supply a pic later
they have a black / green and red lead.
im guessing the black is ground
green is the indicator
power from say head light or marker.
any held greatly received :)

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here's a pic of a socket with the leads similar to what you describe:

Without knowing exactly what sockets you have it's guess work. You could play around with a DMM or an incandescent bulb (cuz they're cheap) and a battery.

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
WAAAY too complicated....
Direct replacement switchback LED lamps are cheap enough for a plug and play install. Then pop the factory relay out and drop in a cheap electronic one. No more which wire does what or funky load resistors or multiple sockets to go bad...
FWIW, this is what I did. Attached is a snip from the electrical diagram. Green on the bike is Honda ground....
FrontEndWiring.jpg

OP
OP
viking1066
Thanks k2mpw , I’m in the Uk so don’t think I have the 3 wire sockets as stock , when I can find them as I thing buried in the plastics, hoping not removed

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
so don’t think I have the 3 wire sockets as stock
You're correct. You don't have running lights from the factory as we do here so you have to add a 3-wire socket. But the 'decoders' are just heavy duty 50ohm resistors or so. And they're needed for each LED indicator bulb. An LED compatible flasher relay eliminates all of them and simplifies your wiring.

OP
OP
viking1066
These are the other kit I have , they also have an electronic relay to plug in place of the original, I’m hoping when I pull apart I have 3 wire sockets and one just ain’t used as it would be daft to use different parts when it can be controlled with a bulb

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
These are the other kit I have , they also have an electronic relay to plug in place of the original, I’m hoping when I pull apart I have 3 wire sockets
That 3-wire socket in the second pic is what you want. If their already installed then the job should be easier. The first pic puzzles me. It shows two sockets per side one of them being being a 'car' bulb socket. That looks to be for a UK bike that doesn't use the 7440 bulb. So it's probably not what's in your bike.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Looking to resurrect this thread. I have a 2004 ST13 that was a non runner till this weekend, woohoo! The tail light male socket attached to harness has deteriorated and the wires broke at the plug. Normally no big deal except I can't get all the pins out and the one I did get out probably won't last to much longer and the crimp end is all but gone. I had found a thread in here last week about "new sockets", the link went to Superbrightleds, also in the thread was (I believe) the OP making the rear turn signals running lights. I had to try that, it works but the socket from SBL is to small for the light housing. Honda seems to only have the male end attached to the harness. Anyone sourced a replacement three wire socket recently?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I had found a thread in here last week about "new sockets", the link went to Superbrightleds, also in the thread was (I believe) the OP making the rear turn signals running lights. I had to try that, it works but the socket from SBL is to small for the light housing. Honda seems to only have the male end attached to the harness. Anyone sourced a replacement three wire socket recently?
I'm confused about whether you are looking for the socket or the connector.
You wrote that the socket that you bought is to small for the light housing, and that you need the socket. P/N 33720-GZ9-003 is the socket that goes in to the light housing.

I am not sure what you are looking for but hopefully this will be of some help;
If you want what is pictured in the second photo of post #14 above, that is the socket. This is Honda P/N 33720-GZ9-003.
If you want what is pictured in the first photo of post # 14 above, that is the connector, not the socket. These are not listed as a separate P/N from Honda, but they are available from many sources. You can purchase them cheaply, and with the terminals, from Cycle Terminals.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I'm confused about whether you are looking for the socket or the connector.
You wrote that the socket that you bought is to small for the light housing, and that you need the socket. P/N 33720-GZ9-003 is the socket that goes in to the light housing.

I am not sure what you are looking for but hopefully this will be of some help;
If you want what is pictured in the second photo of post #14 above, that is the socket. This is Honda P/N 33720-GZ9-003.
If you want what is pictured in the first photo of post # 14 above, that is the connector, not the socket. These are not listed as a separate P/N from Honda, but they are available from many sources. You can purchase them cheaply, and with the terminals, from Cycle Terminals.
No SIr, you're not confused. I am looking for either the connector, could not find in any of the terminal company sites I looked at, or a prewired socket that fits.

Top Bottom