Switzerlanded

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
No, actually it is straight in and straight out again, you´ll see.
Be sure to go to the loo first as the ones on the train are locked.
Good to know - Thanks. The last time I took it in 2021 they made the bikes get on the train first into the motorcycle car and then we all had to turn the bikes around inside the car to come back out. A Swiss friend told me afterwards that was unusual, and your experience seems to confirm that. It's all good.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The main issue I have with the sworn citizens:

Almost >80% of their territory is 52_10a_6057f563200cd74_600x600.jpg and 1200px-Vorschriftszeichen_4a.svg.png....

... and you'll just never see this 800px-Vorschriftszeichen_11.svg.png

So despite a San Bernadino, a Spluegen, a Fluela or ze Gotthard (mostly clogged by RVs anyway)... I'll pass...

OP
OP
Slammer
Great write-up. I know most of the areas and roads you traveled - it was fun to follow along. I particularly liked your "Prize" photos - very cool to be able to visit history and trace where your parents went all those years ago. I did a similar thing a long time ago on my first motorbike trip to Europe when I visited some specific places where my Dad had lived and served in France and England in the Airforce during WWII. Met some very nice people back then that still had strong memories of the war.

I'll be heading over to the Alps in a few days. I'm likely to take the same Kandersteg car train you took. I recollect that the last time I took it you ride in headfirst and then you have to turn the bike around inside the car to face out again to exit - not easy to do with a big bike. Looks like you may have had to do the same thing. Great looking bike.

Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip.
Where are you starting from?

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Where are you starting from?
I begin and end in Thun. I'll be leading different groups in June, but I like to go over a few days early or stay a few days after my groups leave to ride around on my own. I've taken the car train twice before if I'm looking to quickly get down to the Valais area around Zermatt or Crans Montana. As other have mentioned Switzerland is pricey but I like it quite a bit. There are lots of nooks and crannies up the high dead-end roads that are frequently as high as many passes. A lot of them have spectacular views. As I get older, I've also become fond of going up the cable cars to see what's on top of the mountains that I gaze up at while I ride. Switzerland has an excellent network of cable cars, walking trails, etc. I've found a number of small 5 - 10 person cable cars that are used by the crews that service the high mountain hydro dams and are open to the public for a small fee. Lots to do within a 1 - 3 day ride of Thun.

OP
OP
Slammer
I begin and end in Thun. I'll be leading different groups in June, but I like to go over a few days early or stay a few days after my groups leave to ride around on my own. I've taken the car train twice before if I'm looking to quickly get down to the Valais area around Zermatt or Crans Montana. As other have mentioned Switzerland is pricey but I like it quite a bit. There are lots of nooks and crannies up the high dead-end roads that are frequently as high as many passes. A lot of them have spectacular views. As I get older, I've also become fond of going up the cable cars to see what's on top of the mountains that I gaze up at while I ride. Switzerland has an excellent network of cable cars, walking trails, etc. I've found a number of small 5 - 10 person cable cars that are used by the crews that service the high mountain hydro dams and are open to the public for a small fee. Lots to do within a 1 - 3 day ride of Thun.
The tank museum in Thun is worth a visit.

Top Bottom