Tale of self-inflicted woe......

I recently changed tires on my 2007 Non-ABS ST1300. During the procedure, I very stupidly didn't protect my left front rotor sufficiently, and tweaked the rotor carrier.... I "cold set" it as best I could, and ordered a very spendy new rotor, which hasn't arrived yet. On my first test ride, the bike felt perfectly okay, but the left front rotor and the rear rotor were !@#$%^ hot, and the right front rotor was just warm to the touch. I tweaked the carrier some more, shot some WD-40 into the arm of the SMC, and went for another ride..... I now have the front right disc just warm to the touch, the front left disc just a little hot to the touch, but the rear rotor is still too hot to hold on to.......

The rear rotor doesn't seem locked, and I can spin the wheel easily with my hand or foot. The left (tweaked and reset) rotor spins a little less easier, but also doesn't seem to bind........the bike rides perfectly, the brakes perform very well, I feel no pulsation in the lever, no squeal or other noise....

Plan:
-- when the new rotor arrives, I will install it.
-- when my service manual arrives, I will use it to clean out the SMC, and order a new assembly if I think it necessary.
-- I will then attempt to bleed the whole system.

Any advice or comments appreciated! Especially if you think my plan sucks....thanks in advance,

The world's dumbest ST1300 mechanic......

I had a problem of some pads getting eaten up after pad change and founf the pistons were dirty and sticking. You might want to push the pistons out enough to take some brake fluid and clean them up.

I would start there. It is a cheap fix.

When you get your manual Pg 17-22 will show you an exploded view of the SMC. It also states to not take apart the boot part of the push rod for some reason but says you can remove the piston.

I have been looking at this on my bike as my SMC seems to have a lot of slop in it since my last tire change and I am wondering if my piston is stuck. The other thing people mention about the rattle is that bleeding the brakes help. So I think my course of action is to check to see how much room is between the pistons and pads as they were pushed back when I put on new rear pads, if that looks OK then I will bleed the brake system.

I have started to look at new SMC assemblies. The best price I found was Service Honda at a little over $110. I think $114 but I that is from memory. MSRP on the part was $158 or so. From looking at the parts diagram it looks like it comes complete. You just pull the caliper off the old one and bolt it to the new one. The piston, push rod boot and all related parts are part of the assembly, not bolts though.

Oh I should add that I looked up the parts for my 2003 ABS. I see you have a 2007 non-ABS. I know the calipers didn't change until 2008 and on the 03-07 I am pretty sure the SMC is the same on ABS/Non-ABS. Be sure to check though. So I won't post the part number for it in the event they are different.

By all means though I think you are on the right path.

Thanks, Sennister...... oh, if my rotor gets hear before my manual, anybody know what the torque value is for the rotor bolts? The ones that bolt the rotor carrier to the wheel?

Page 15-16 shows:

20 N/M (2.0 kgf/m, 14 lbf/ft) and recommends new bolts of course for the front rotors

Page 16-9 shows:

42 N/M (4.3 kgf/m, 31 lbf/ft) for the rear rotor. I don't think you need that. Well we hope anyhow.

Page 15-16 shows:

20 N/M (2.0 kgf/m, 14 lbf/ft) and recommends new bolts of course for the front rotors

Page 16-9 shows:

42 N/M (4.3 kgf/m, 31 lbf/ft) for the rear rotor. I don't think you need that. Well we hope anyhow.

Thanks again......I'm just gonna reuse the bolts..... I'm paying tuition in the form of screwed up parts for a motorcycle mechanics class.... might have been cheaper to go to MMI or something....lol......

I'm beginning to wonder if the linked brakes and especially the SMC shouldn't be in the "Known Issues and Concerns" section.....

I'm beginning to wonder if the linked brakes and especially the SMC shouldn't be in the "Known Issues and Concerns" section.....

One thing that is kind of strange is that I don't think they changed this part at all on the 03-07 but I have read of several 07s that have had issues with the SMC.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with mine. Mine just rattles and it didn't do that before. I will admit that while I like the linked brakes and having ABS I don't like the complexity of it over my old 1100 with non-ABS.

sennister I will admit that while I like the linked brakes and having ABS I don't like the complexity of it over my old 1100 with non-ABS.[/QUOTE said:
I feel your pain. I should do a bleed but would rather ride. I also want to put braided lines on this winter and with all the extra lines it will cost a ton. :eek:4:

Well, my pistons on the rear caliper were kinda grody.....so I cleaned them all up, with DOT 4, shined them up a fluffy piece of hairy twine..... put it all back together and went for a ride.....

No change........ just as hot, if not hotter than before......

I guess I'll wait for the new disc; I may just go ahead and order a new SMC innards...... then bleed the mess.......

Now I definitely think this linked brake system is a pain in the ***, and should be in the Known Concerns Section...... a dysfunctional braking system at 18,000 miles? C'mon!

Thanks again......I'm just gonna reuse the bolts..... I'm paying tuition in the form of screwed up parts for a motorcycle mechanics class.... might have been cheaper to go to MMI or something....lol......

The linked brakes on the ST are great. The SMC has been known to be a problem for a while. Honda has a newer version with a drain hole on the top section....to help avoid the problems. I've had good luck. I hope you get things worked out.

Again...I've never used a better linked brake system.

Back
Top Bottom