Tapered Bearing question...

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Having a heck of a time getting the new tapered bearing down onto the steering stem..... don't have a bearing/race drive....

Would heating the bearing help? Or do I really need to get the bearing/race driver?

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
The lower steering stem bearing is cooking.....hopefully it will expand enough to allow it to slide onto the steering stem with minimal assistance....

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't know if heating is the *right thing*...

If it is a *ring* you freeze it to get the metal to contract making the inside of the ring dia larger.
If you heat a rod the rod expands making the outside dia larger.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Don't know if heating is the *right thing*...

If it is a *ring* you freeze it to get the metal to contract making the inside of the ring dia larger.
If you heat a rod the rod expands making the outside dia larger.
Don't I want to freeze things that need to shrink to fit inside something? i.e. wheel bearing / races

and heat things that need to fit around something....i.e. tapered bearing onto the steering stem?

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Heating will expand the race, you need to freeze it for 4 hours or so.
You can make a puller with with a bolt/nut and couple of strong washers to pull the race down.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I've already got the races installed in the frame/stem...

Working on getting the tapered bearing installed onto the triple tree stem (Shaft)....

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Having a heck of a time getting the new tapered bearing down onto the steering stem..... don't have a bearing/race drive.... Would heating the bearing help? Or do I really need to get the bearing/race driver?
Funny you should ask. I just did this today on my ST11. I got the old one off easy enough and got the outer races installed no problem (freezer time and some light tapping with dull brass punch). However, the last step was to get that new bearing down on the stem. I knew there was little to no interference on the fit but I don't have a press or anything to "properly" push that new bearing on and honestly, I didn't feel like seeking out some local shop to do it either. So I took my big brass punch/driver/chisel (? I don't know the proper name) and narrowed the end with a dremel to fit on the the narrow inner race of the bearing. Then all it took was some careful tapping for about 30 mins and I had it seated. And yes, all that hammering/tapping did produce some brass chips but I blew it out with compressed air. I'll admit this was not the best way to git'r done but I had done it before many yrs ago on another bike and was confident it would work (or I'd be placing another order with CBRbearing).

My wife had been cooking earlier in the day but I missed my chance to toss the bearing in the oven to heat it up. Wasn't needed anyway.... stem and bearing at room temp for install.
Regards,

Brendan

Last edited:

Avtrician

You could have placed the Triple tree in the deep freezer, and heated the bearing to help slide it over the shaft. The tapered seats go in the freezer to help them go into the steering stem..

Last time I did the ZZR1100, I had to use an angle grinder to carefully remove the lower bearing. Brutish but it worked.

A long piece of pipe that can slide over the triple tree shaft can be used as a drift to reseat the new bearing, but you need to be careful.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Use the old bearing as your tool, put it over the new and use a pipe and hammer. Never apply any force to the outside bearing, just the inner race.

OP
OP
Tankereng

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Thanks for the great advice...this is the part I like about diving into a project...learning new things..

The part I don't like....killing a bearing and waiting for the replacement.....:doh1:

Top Bottom