tappet shims - stamped side up or down

Bike
ST1100AY
I vaguely remember reading that the stamped side of the shim should be up facing ie touching the bucket but can't find a reference to this so maybe I was dreaming it !!

Or maybe it doesnt matter ?

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Doesn’t matter but I suppose Up would make identifying what shim you have convenient (don’t have to remove and flip it); however, my experience is that the shim usually comes off with the cup anyway (stuck to the bottom inside). FWIW

John

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Face the numbers upward, i.e. against the follower cup, otherwise the the size marking is more likely to be worn off. It's no big deal though as you should probably be using a micrometer to check thicknesses anyway. I've found the shims are not always exactly the thickness they are marked. This can be annoying or handy for the anal among us to more accurately dial in the clearance.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Numbers up, but I always verify the thickness of the old and new shim with a micrometer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Remember, 'you can't believe everything you read'. (Including this post).

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
I sand the number off of all the shims just to make the job more interesting. Takes all the fun out of it if you know the thickness of the shim just by looking at it.
I found the stamped number gave me better adhesion for the super glue, I was fed up with the shim sticking to the bucket so I superglued it to the valve stem

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I’ve measured dozens of Honda shims and all were precisely as marked.

JuST another data point. FWIW

John
Yeah my observation was regarding the Hot Cams kit probably. The shims there are somewhat more variable, but as long as you know the measured thickness it doesn't really matter.

Bike
2010 ST1300
@dwalby is right, and by sanding the shim, you change its thickness which makes this even more fun. @Larry Fine, Doug never fools around. @Asterysk, you could have used construction adhesive in a 'caulk gun' tube. Apply glue, put shim in position and drop the bucket on to square things up. Heck, you might even have used roofing tar - it comes in 5 gallon buckets and is cheaper yet than construction adhesive. One bucket (of roofing tar, not shim) will last you a lifetime - or two.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
@dwalby is right, and by sanding the shim, you change its thickness which makes this even more fun. @Larry Fine, Doug never fools around.
And, since the valve clearances usually tighten over time, you never need to buy new (thinner) shims. You just sand down the one you took out, and put it back in when you're done adjusting it.

Top Bottom