Temp gauge sticking

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
So has anyone here experienced the temp gauge sticking on their 1100? Mine has this new habit of once it gets hot it stays just below the right side temp line and just stays there. Won't drop in temp but will go up. Then you hit a good bump and all of a sudden the temp drops like a rock.

I have replaced the thermostat, hoses are all new. Fan comes on mostly when I feel is should. No leaks, fresh juice, when I check the coolant level it's good, overflow is good.

Bike
2000 ST1100
No can't say mine has ever done that and I can't recall a gauge ever physically sticking. If it's doing it after your coolant service work, You may want to check your work. but if it's not overheating and everything is normal but the guage sticking I guess it could be bad guage just haven't never heard of it.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I hate Harbor Fright, but in this case, head on over there and get one of their cheap IR laser temp checker doohickeys. Check the temps into the t-stat, rad, etc. This will tell you very quickly what is working and what is not.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
So has anyone here experienced the temp gauge sticking on their 1100? Mine has this new habit of once it gets hot it stays just below the right side temp line and just stays there. Won't drop in temp but will go up. Then you hit a good bump and all of a sudden the temp drops like a rock.

I have replaced the thermostat, hoses are all new. Fan comes on mostly when I feel is should. No leaks, fresh juice, when I check the coolant level it's good, overflow is good.
Did you also replace the small hose that runs from the thermostat housing all the way back to the overflow tank? What about the water level in that tank? Had similar wit my 1991. That hose was cracked in the bend where it left the housing connection. No leaks. Found it on inspection. Which thermostat did you use, new Honda or another? Dreadful thought here, was there any corrosion in the coolant when you drained it? Also, and I'll stop rambling, check your wiring that goes down to the temp sensor.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
From my notes...
Water temperature gauge sensor resistance:
50*C/122*F = 130>180 ohms - v. cold
80*C/176*F = 45>60 ohms - normal range
120*C/248*F = 10>20 ohms - v. hot
Substituting a 50 ohm resistor in place of the sensor should get about half scale on the gauge.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Check your ground wires for a good connection. The one from the main loom attaches to a bolt holding the folding grab handle on the left side or the bolt on the left pannier rail.
When the temp gauge is not grounded properly, it will stay in the hot zone. When you turn off the bike and let it sit for a minute and then start it again it will run normal for awhile then creep up to the hot zone. (Those were my symptoms, My ground was loose, once tightened no more issues) I do have a spare temp gauge if you want one.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
mine has had a similar, but less severe symptom as yours for many years, mine goes up to about the point where the fan would normally kick in, then comes back down later for no apparent reason. In my case the gauge will climb up as I'm riding at continuous freeway speed, so I know the coolant temp isn't changing.

I remember a few people claiming to have the same issue in the past. As @kiltman says, check your grounds, its one possible cause. I checked my grounds and they were OK, so I think the gauge itself is acting up, or the wire to the gauge in the instrument cluster has a minor issue. I've just learned to ignore it because its fairly easy to notice when its happening due to some electrical gremlin vs. the coolant temp actually rising. And in my case the gauge never goes into the upper range like yours does, so its not much cause for concern either way.

If your grounds check out OK, take @kiltman up on his offer for the temp gauge.

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Check your ground wires for a good connection. The one from the main loom attaches to a bolt holding the folding grab handle on the left side or the bolt on the left pannier rail.
When the temp gauge is not grounded properly, it will stay in the hot zone. When you turn off the bike and let it sit for a minute and then start it again it will run normal for awhile then creep up to the hot zone. (Those were my symptoms, My ground was loose, once tightened no more issues) I do have a spare temp gauge if you want one.
I will keep the spare gauge in mind save me a post looking for one. lol. Gonna try the easy stuff first. Thanks

OP
OP
PmodelinUS

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Ding,ding,ding! We have a winner. Apparently for the last 27 months the ground bolt has been loose. All of a sudden the bike is showing that it is running cooler and the fan now comes on when the temp needle is about 2/3 the way over. It has never done that.

Thank all of you for your help.

I'M GOING TO LOCKSTOC!!!!

Seriously cannot thank everyone on this site enough. I have had so many issues and someone here always has the right answer.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
hey, glad to hear your fix was simple. I wish my ground bolt was loose, but no such luck, mine's still a mystery.

Top Bottom