Temporary Solution to Overheating Problem

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wrote a while ago that my 1300 overheats when I'm stopped in construction stop and go traffic. Since then I pulled the tupperware and idled the bike in my driveway. After 20 to 25 minutes, the fans had not come on, and I was getting 4 bars. Temp using an infrared thermometer on the radiator next to the big rubber hose connecting pipes was in the 240 F range (but the temp 1" away on the spigot itself was in the 200 F range). So, the temps are a bit confusing, regardless, the bar gage on the dash held steady at 3 bars, then climbed to 4, then 5 - I turned it off. Both connectors were seated properly (harness to radiator fan connectors). I've only had one coolant leak at the left stat housing big hose, minimal corrosion on the housing, the stat ground wire was tight and clean when I pulled it to swap the stat, but I've not yet seen the sensor connection.

Tested one fan with an old battery and wire - its noisy as heck and runs smoothly. I am absolutely sure that I've never heard this noise coming from the bike for as long as I've owned it (and I only ran one fan - two would be noise in stereo!). I've yet to test the relay. If it is good then...

This afternoon I will wire in a temporary switch on a spare circuit I had previously run to the front of the bike so I can manually turn the fan on. Since I've put in excess of 400 miles on the bike with no overheating since that first episode, I doubt I'll need the switch much this summer. Come winter I will have to dig out that sensor behind the 'stat housing (thermostat is new as of this past winter layup) and test it. Not looking forward to the difficulty of reaching it.

Post Script
I feel like such an idiot. No big deal - it is a familiar feeliing. After lunch I pulled the relay. It was fine when I tested it w/ my battery and continuity tester. As I was plugging it back in, I realized it had slipped out MUCH more easily than it was going back into the socket. Could the blessed thing have been loose? Meanwhile, a frog choker had started and water was drifiting across the garage floor toward the drain. I back and forthed the bike so the exhausts were pointing out and fired it up. While it idled, I monitored the temps w/ my i-red thermometer. At around 16 minutes and 212 F, THE FANS CAME ON. Hindsight is 20-20. When troubleshooting its a tossup if you start at the source or at the end of the circuit as long as you work consistently in one direction. I chose to start at the fans and work back - and this was a bad choice. Oh well, now I get to clean the tupperware as I put it all back.....

And, even though I was listening for the fans, their sound is barely audible above the idling bike - the tach did bobble in response to the addl load. But I doubt if I would notice the fans with the fairing on.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
look at the glass half full, you repaired your bike and the total cost was $0.00

Top Bottom