Test brake fluid with multimeter

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Clutch side, will do the brakes when I have more time.

Dirty fluid...
IMG_3327.jpeg

After adding a drop of distilled water
IMG_3327.jpeg

Brand new from unopened container.
IMG_3328.jpeg

Not scientific at all, but I did clean the reservoir thoroughly before fresh.

Attachments

Once again the reading is negative. Negative potential. Clean oil generated more potential than dirty oil ? So the car, or bike frame, is positively charged and the fluid is negatively charged. Right now this doesnt seem like a viable test. But it does have potential...

OP
OP
core-aggie
Once again the reading is negative. Negative potential.
Just got done with various chores, plus a re-test in the garage. Interestingly enough, if I reverse the probes (red on master brake cylinder, black in fluid), I get the same reading, but it's positive.

Anyway, I think the readings I get are respective of the age of the brake fluid for each vehicle. I was sure the Jeep still has time until the next flush, and I know the GLK should be done soon.

never used volt meter on brake fluid. have used strips that detect moisture, i always check my coolant with volt meter because It reds the acidity of the coolant as stated above, the acidic coolant circulates around metal plates and becomes a battery Aluminum is really susceptible to electrolysis and I have seen what looks like worm tracks through engine components, the coolant has a additive that line the outside of the cylinders that protect it from the shock of the firing of the cylinder. Now the condition of the coolant is as much important as changing the oil, I have seen coolant failures such as cylinder liners fail, heater cores leaking and have seen coolant failures because of bad engine grounds. Make sure your engine is grounded using the resistance check. Just make sure the engine is running when you do it.
As an side note shops have had machines that filter coolant and add back additives calling recycled. What you end up with is a lot of dissolved solids, the actual remanufactured coolant the separate the coolant back to its original ethylene glycol and start over with new additives

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Clutch side, will do the brakes when I have more time.

Dirty fluid...
IMG_3327.jpeg

After adding a drop of distilled water
IMG_3327.jpeg

Brand new from unopened container.
IMG_3328.jpeg

Not scientific at all, but I did clean the reservoir thoroughly before fresh.
Brake side

Old fluid
IMG_3332.jpeg

Drop of distilled water added
IMG_3334.jpeg

Fresh fluid
IMG_3335.jpeg

I can't say I would count on this to determine anything except that the Potato is OK.

Top Bottom