Test Ride FJR today

Bike
09 ST1300A
Test rode an 06 FJR1300 at a dealer today. Now I'm more confused than ever, after my ST test ride & FJR test ride. I like specific features on each of them.
Can't fault the dealer he let me take it about 40 miles, back roads & highway.
FJR ran good, powerful, fast, tried some slow parking lot turns - went good, my feet were flat on the ground when stopped. Hit 100+ a couple of times for second or two, felt good, stable & solid. I'd like to sit up more relaxed, pulled back if I bought one, probably get Heli bar risers.
Motor "vibs" came through (more noticeable than on the ST) I wouldn't let the "vibs" alone be a show stopper but they were a bit annoying, I did not find the vibs strongly focused in the handle bars or pegs, just kind of lightly all over.
Overall the ride & motor NOT AS SMOOTH as on the "ST". Wind protection is better on the ST too.
I was surprised that wind gusts & turbulence from passing trailers gave more rock to the FJR than I was experiencing on my Valkyrie when going to & coming from the test ride.
Even though others here have said just the opposite as me: I feel that the ST took the turbulence & wind gusts "better" than the FJR. (and some motorcycle magazines agree with them- they say the FJR is more stable). Sounds goofy but now I want to ride the ST1300 again. I wish these test rides were easier to come by. :confused::confused:

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Test rode an 06 FJR1300 at a dealer today. Now I'm more confused than ever, after my ST test ride & FJR test ride. I like specific features on each of them.
Can't fault the dealer he let me take it about 40 miles, back roads & highway.
FJR ran good, powerful, fast, tried some slow parking lot turns - went good, my feet were flat on the ground when stopped. Hit 100+ a couple of times for second or two, felt good, stable & solid. I'd like to sit up more relaxed, pulled back if I bought one, probably get Heli bar risers.
Motor "vibs" came through (more noticeable than on the ST) I wouldn't let the "vibs" alone be a show stopper but they were a bit annoying, I did not find the vibs strongly focused in the handle bars or pegs, just kind of lightly all over.
Overall the ride & motor NOT AS SMOOTH as on the "ST". Wind protection is better on the ST too.
I was surprised that wind gusts & turbulence from passing trailers gave more rock to the FJR than I was experiencing on my Valkyrie when going to & coming from the test ride.
Even though others here have said just the opposite as me: I feel that the ST took the turbulence & wind gusts "better" than the FJR. (and some motorcycle magazines agree with them- they say the FJR is more stable). Sounds goofy but now I want to ride the ST1300 again. I wish these test rides were easier to come by. :confused::confused:
Hey Ken,

Glad you got to experience the FJR as well. A couple of points to ponder:

- The stock windshield on the Feejer is pretty small, but there are tons of after-market shields. When I had my ST I tried several of after market shields and ended up sticking with the Clearview GT Small, with Goldwing vent. My Feejer came with a Rifle with the tuning blocks to get air under the shield to reduce the negative pressure that ends up pushing you forward. While I don't really like the look of the Rifle, it works amazingly. I plan on getting a summer shield soon, as I need MORE air.

- I'm a bit surprised that you felt the FJR was more affected by turbulence. The opposite has been my experience. I felt the ST dances quite a bit more, but I learned to ease up on the bars and just go with it. She handles the turbulence just fine that way. I'm wondering if you might have been putting more weight on the bars since you mentioned that you'd like to be sitting upright a bit more. Easy fix. I'm sitting almost completely upright with my setup.

Well, either bike is awesome. There are pros and cons to each design, and you just have to pick which one turns you on the most!

Best,
Rick

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Thanks Rick,
Once again I do appreciate your advice & respect your opinion.
I may very well have been gripping or fighting the FJR too tight in the wind, but I was surprised how it reacted also. I expected it to be rock solid from comparisons I had read.
Seriously my Valkyrie was much more solid (in the gusts) the same day, same conditions and location. The day I tested the ST may very well have been a calmer day, but I do remember sweeping by a semi truck without any problem. Some of the negatives I experienced on the ST or FJR may be attributed to the fact that they were both used bikes.
For me the jury is still out, I'm sure you will be watching for my post when I do finally pick one.
I'll give you this to ponder though, I did not pick up on this point myself until just the other day: I have the MCM mag. "shootout" & one from Rider mag. from 12/07 that featured the ST, FJR & C14. In MCM all I originally saw was that the FJR came in first in just about every category, Engine, handling ,etc everything but braking, where the ST was first. What I did not catch until re-reading the other day was the fact that the "testers" in spite of the extensive pros they gave to the FJR - they both said they would pick the ST if they were buying one themselves. Interesting
Have a great one:)

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Ken,

Great point about the testers' comments. It reiterates my point that, above and beyond the technical comparisons of the two bikes, it has to make you feel good!

Yes, it's interesting to debate which one vibrates more, or has better brakes, or has more power, but it really comes down to a personal decision as to which bike you really like the most. In the end, that's the only thing that really matters.

Best of luck in whatever bike you get, and do post a picture once you get it!

Rick

Bike
99 BMW K1200RS
Glad to hear there are still dealers that let you test ride. In my area, you buy, then you ride!!!:04biker:

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
Yard Hard,

What I did was to send out an email to several dealers and said I am interested in buying their specific brand of bike but needed a demo ride, I also said I have a current MC license, an experienced rider course cert., & have 68k miles on my 01 Valkyrie.
Needless to say some dealers did not respond, but several did, they all offered rides on used models but that was OK with me.
Guess which dealers I will buy the new bike from :D Yo!!!

fjr...inline four...more vibs...higher in the chassis than your flat-six in valky...+fjr lighter substantially than valky or st13...so subject to effects of wind/cross blast from passing 18wheels...st13v4 essentially perfect primary dynamic balance...so much more smoooooth...compared to vibs from inline four...as has been said before...fjr has emphasis on SPORT-touring whereas st13 reverses somewhat more TOURING in the st type bikes...me...there is enough of the sport in the st to satisfy my 67+1 aged body...enjoy your selection process!:03biker::)

for my $...right now, if i were to be in buying mode...the c14 in 2010 model would be the title with my name on it...no contest compared to vfr1200f with NO BAGS at $16...yep, c14...enough $ saved on deal to pay for slightly less mpg:bow1::03biker:

Top Bottom