Thanks and a Question...

Thanks to Joe and all the rest who have posted info on here... I had worked on the bike this weekend and changed the fluids and installed a new rear tire and pads... I had installed the front tire a couple of weeks ago... Cool, ready to ride... Nope, started the bike this morning and it started fine but it reset the clock and tripmeter, hmmmm... Same thing this afternoon... Started looking on here for info and yep, it seems to be a warning signal that the battery is getting weak... I had bought a leftover '07 in October of '08 and the original battery was bad from the start... The warranty replacement was installed in November of '08 so it's almost 3 years old... I just ordered an Yuasa from Two Brothers (same place I ordered my tires a year or so back) $148 shipped... The rear oem pads were just under $50 from D/FW Honda... They installed the replacement battery I had needed even though I had purchased the bike out of state... I'll give them my business when I can, even though there are dealers closer... I've got the bike on the battery tender and hopefully it will last for a few days until I get the replacement...

Okay, here's my Question: I had installed a set of Delkevic mufflers at the end of May... Around the same time when I started the bike it would idle pretty slow and I'd have to give it a bit of throttle to keep it going and it would take a minute or so until it would idle normally... I had just chalked it up to the hot weather lately... It had never acted up like this before... Does this have anything to do with the Delkevics or was it just another sign of the battery dying???
The bike had actually died this morning (that was when the display reset) while I was putting on my helmet... It idled at around 600 or 700 rpm and died... I did adjust the idle up yesterday to a bit over 1000... It had been idling right at 1000... It does idle fine after the bike warms up...

Thanks, Kevin

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
No idea about the delkevics but I don't see how the battery would effect idle.
If the battery is on it's last legs it's probably presenting even less of a charge load on the alternator then a new one.

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
On my 07, I had the idle adjusted to 750 rpm. I had installed the HID head lights( 50/55w) with a cut off switch and a volt meter. What I noticed is that with the headlights off at idle , the alternator/battery was able to produce 14.5vdc with just LED's and marker lights on. With the headlight on the charging voltage dropped to 11-11.5vdc at idle so now all the lights and headlight are pulling from the battery and a charging voltage to low to charge the battery. Most alternator's require 12vdc going to them to excite the charging circuit , so a low weak battery at idle with a load ( Headlights) could have a low enough voltage drop to the cause the alternator to stop charging, no dc juice motor dies. Sounds like a new battery is needed...

OP
OP
Thanks guys... I did check the connections at the battery end and they seemed to be tight... Yep, keeping it ready to ride, although it's just going to be commuting and day rides for the next couple of months...

I went ahead and ordered the Yuasa battery because if it's going to give me a warning, great... I hate getting stranded, especially in this Texas heat...

Kevin

Top Bottom