That AUKWARD carb boot clamp - reverse orientation?

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Two questions:

1. Can I reverse direction of the carb boot clamp on the right front cylinder (not sure what number it is?)?

This is that one that is not straight forward to get to the screws when removing the carbs.

If you look at the carb boot and the clamp pin groove to set the position of the clamp - the clamp should be installed like shown in the photo - which makes it a lot easier to get to.

I found both clamps intsalled opposite of this picture.

Is the picture the correct orientation (it would seem so by design of the boot pin index feature) and it sure would make installation easier - i just don't know if there are other problems with this orientaion that i would not find out unitl later in assembly?

2. Also tightening of the boot clamps with new Honda OEM boots. The clamps snug up pretty good with about 1/16 gap from the clamps completely closed. Are thes clamps designed to be completely bottomed out (completly closed) or should they be set with a torque screwdriver?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I am sure these must be like the ST1300 where there is about 1/4" gap in the clamp. You need to look at the Honda repair manual to see what the gap should be on the 1100. Good luck with the repairs.

Bike
92 ST1100
Two questions:

1. Can I reverse direction of the carb boot clamp on the right front cylinder (not sure what number it is?)?

This is that one that is not straight forward to get to the screws when removing the carbs.

If you look at the carb boot and the clamp pin groove to set the position of the clamp - the clamp should be installed like shown in the photo - which makes it a lot easier to get to.

I found both clamps intsalled opposite of this picture.

Is the picture the correct orientation (it would seem so by design of the boot pin index feature) and it sure would make installation easier - i just don't know if there are other problems with this orientaion that i would not find out unitl later in assembly?

2. Also tightening of the boot clamps with new Honda OEM boots. The clamps snug up pretty good with about 1/16 gap from the clamps completely closed. Are thes clamps designed to be completely bottomed out (completly closed) or should they be set with a torque screwdriver?

Thanks,

Paul
Clamp screw interferes with throttle linkage stops and such if that direction. Clamp screw needs to be opposite side unfortunately. If using existing claps, they tighten down against their stops. IMO, this is intentional to keep clamps from over tightening and a possible buckled place causing an intake leak. Locate new boots same identical position as originals and you'll be golden.

OP
OP
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Clamp screw interferes with throttle linkage stops and such if that direction. Clamp screw needs to be opposite side unfortunately. If using existing claps, they tighten down against their stops. IMO, this is intentional to keep clamps from over tightening and a possible buckled place causing an intake leak. Locate new boots same identical position as originals and you'll be golden.
Thanks.

1. Yes will maintian original orientation - thanks for the insight to throttle stops.

2. Yes OEM clamps and boots - I supected they were overtighten proof - I like that:(

Thanks again.

Paul

Top Bottom