The brake pad saga...........

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've got EBC brakes to go on and just looking at them they seem thin even brand new. They are 5/32nds brand new for the record. same pads go on front and rear.

How thick are the OEM pads new? I believe the fronts are different from the rear.

How about the cheap E bay pads?

Dunlop pads?

Others??

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
I have a complete set of OEM brake pads ready for install on my ST1100..... the front pads are 4mm thick and the rear pad set is 7mm thick.
Mr. BR

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Recommend sticking with OEM. Aftermarket pads in my experience can sometimes cause excessive rotor wear, work poorly in the wet, have a shorter service life and just generally perform poorer than OEM. Mail ordered from someplace like Service Honda, Zanotti or Ron Ayers there's not that much difference in price.

I've been using EBC pads for about 40K miles. They work great, probably have a stronger feel than the stock pads. Work great in the wet. My stock rear pads were down to the metal when I bought the bike w/12K miles on it. I'm getting 15-20K out of the EBC's. I'm very pleased with the performance. However, I've also heard they can cause increased rotor wear compared to the stock pads, so I intend to go back to the stock pads for the next change out.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The OEM front pads will fit on the rear, but the OEM rears are thicker. A lot of aftermarket brands sell the same pads for both.

I have a full set of fresh OEM pads in the garage that I could measure if you want the numbers.

--Mark

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
The OEM front pads will fit on the rear, but the OEM rears are thicker. A lot of aftermarket brands sell the same pads for both.

I have a full set of fresh OEM pads in the garage that I could measure if you want the numbers.

--Mark
Please measure them for me. knowing the exact numbers helps in decisions. With the rear pads wearing faster than the front I'd like the rear to be much thicker.

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
My experiences have been the same as stated above. In addition, the OEM pads last longer and don't put off as much brake dust as the aftermarket pads.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I replaced my rear pads before my trip last summer....I plan to replace my fronts with this set of tires. So I got an additional 8K out of the fronts than the rears. I'm at ~32K now.

<D>

Bike
2006 ST1300
My next set will be OEM. I went with a very cheap set of Kevlar organics from an ebay seller, only because I was out of work and they were $42 shipped to my door for both fronts and rear. I went organic for reduced rotor wear. They work fine, although I can feel the reduced braking in the wet. If someone were on a tight budget, I wouldn't tell them NOT to get these, but they aren't as good as OEM. Keep in mind I was comparing the $42 for these vs. the aprox. $100 for OEM for all 3 sets.

If you aren't on an extremely tight budget, go with OEM. They aren't much more than the higher-end aftermarket.

Jim

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
From the Honda dealer my pads are $54 a piece OTD. I bought 2 sets of HH EBC's for the front. To be honest, any difference between these and stock is minimal. IMO, there is a bit less dust and a bit more initial bite.

Tom

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I also replaced my rear pads with HH EBC's last summer. There is less material that you would expect. I can't tell the difference between the HH EBC's and OEM. Good luck.

Bike
2006 ST1300
From the Honda dealer my pads are $54 a piece OTD. I bought 2 sets of HH EBC's for the front. To be honest, any difference between these and stock is minimal. IMO, there is a bit less dust and a bit more initial bite.

Tom
I was going by online pricing (Ron Ayers Honda). I try to avoid my local stealer...they estimated 3+ weeks just to get a t-stat, so not only do I pay more locally, but its a longer wait...lol. I may try the EBCs next time, not sure. Usually my only complaint with OEM is price, but online OEM prices aren't much more than aftermarket.

Jim

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Some formulations of EBCs have been known to be harder on the rotors than OEM, so you may save a few bucks in the short term, but go price rotors... :eek:

--Mark

my 06 rear pads are just about through the wear notches with only 5800 miles on it,I know I plan on putting some actual mileage on this amazing machine,but dosen't it seem strange for the rear pads to wear so fast? the fronts are fine having about .100 left on them. I'm going to install new pads change and flush the system.I've heard traped air can cause the pads to wear faster.has anyone else experinced this kind of rapid wear?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Joejoe- my '06 pads, front and rear, lasted 27000 miles. Fronts had a hair left, rears just touched metal.

How do you ride? A hard rider can blow through pads much sooner.

Sent from my SCH-R880 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom