The do everything Scooter - Yamaha Xmax 300

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
OK, my sport touring bike is great for road trips, dates (riding with a passenger), or riding hard in the twisty's. But, around town it's a pain as you are always shifting, it's heavy enough that you need to be careful moving it around to avoid the tip over, and does not get much better highway mpg than an efficient car (in my case an 2018 Honda Accord) while drinking 91 octane. Well, I have found the perfect two wheeled alternative. It's a 2018 Yamaha Xmax 300 as it comes with 47l of storage under the seat, abs & traction control, and a great little engine that can push it at 85 mph (enough for urban highway jaunts) and has been returning over 80 mpg during the initial fill-ups while running on 87 octane gas. It's been so good that my other two bikes have been sitting so I have decided to sell one of them. The negative, it can be a little cramped in comparison to bigger Maxi Scooters like the BMW C650GT or Suzuki Burgman 650 or a good Sport Touring bike like the ST1300. So if you are in the market for a middle weight scooter (yes, a 292cc bike is a middle weight in the scooter world), get it. :)

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
I caught the "scooter bug" from my sister, who rides a Honda SilverWing scooter. She started on a Honda Elite, which she bought with 30k miles on it, and proceeded to put another 25k on it while riding it to work, taking daughter to school, and short "tours" around her area. She traded up to a Yamaha Majesty, which proved to be less than reliable(complete engine failure at 6k miles), then to the Silver Wing, which has been rock solid for her. She rides it the 850 miles down here to Georgia From Norfolk, VA every year. MIleage is not stellar on it, about the same as my ST.

I did my research and bought an older Honda Helix with 6k miles on it. I love it for around town, small jaunts down the highway ( it'll JUST do 65), and the fact that it is so light, and sips fuel at a very low rate. Even riding two -up quite often, it still returns 70 MPG on a regular basis. Maintenance is relatively inexpensive, ( for instance, a set of tires is less than a hundred bux), and it is FUN! Low center of gravity makes it a real screamer in the corners, and it'll outrace most cages 0-40. I take wife into work on it quite often, and it's great for those quick trips into town. Insurance is VERY cheap ( about 50$ for year for full coverage). All in all, cheap to own and run, and LOAD of fun.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
That Xmax 300 looks great! I had a Silver Wing for a while--it was surprisingly handy and capable, and I can see how a bit smaller scooter would be even more handy if you've a lot of local trips to make.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
. I take wife into work on it quite often, and it's great for those quick trips into town.
I used to take my ex-wife to University on my first scooter 'Honda Elite 110', might be one of the contributing factors in why she's an ex and moved on to another member of this forum. :rolleyes:

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Nice bike. My wife used to own a Kymco Downtown 300. Tons of storage under the seat and would easily go over 80mph. Only thing she didn't like about it was it was the seat was set up for a very short inseam.

Top Bottom