Thermostat structural failure

Bike
2006 ST1300
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. TTs fail, OEMs fail. Run it until it fails then go back to OEM.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Kewaneh

Kewaneh

Where are we?
Bike
2006 ST1300
You know...my bike has a TT thermostat in it because my original oem failed and the concensus on this forum was that oems were junk, and to replace them with TT stats when you had to replace one. Now 2 years later it seems the song is being sung backwards. So I have to worry about what is in there now. Crap. No biggie for you mechanically inclined types, but it will probably cost me a couple hundred bucks at the dealer to go in here to see if I now have any issue. This sucks.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. TTs fail, OEMs fail. Run it until it fails then go back to OEM.
Ferret - I have to agree with NHDiesel, it's not really worth worrying about. It happens, and honestly, it's a relatively simple fix, albeit a bit time consuming. As this thread shows (I think), TT thermostat failures are rare, so if you have one, again, don't worry about it.

I replaced the OEM with a TT because of the forum's consensus. I replaced the TT this time with an OEM, again, because of the forum's consensus combined with the unavailability of the TTs. If they were still available, I might have put another one in this time too. I didn't give it much thought as it wasn't really an option.

As far the actual replacement of the unit, you don't have to be a mechanic to do it. Anyone with basic skills, a 6mm, 8mm, & 10mm socket, and a Phillips screwdriver can do it. Seriously. The most difficult part is removing the plastic. Once the bike is naked, disconnect three easily accessible bolts and five hoses and the radiator is out. The thermostat is right behind it. You can do it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Agreed that the plastic is the worse part. The mechanical side looks intimidating but is actually very straightforward.

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
OEM all the way! I just had mine out after 95,000 miles of use and it looked new. I replaced the factory original at 22,000 miles.

Smallville

Scott
Bike
2022 KLR 650 Adv
STOC #
Turbo tom posted about this back in march of 09. He found one in his test bike. Search for confirmed TT thermostats failure. Those of you that have had this happen may want to contact him. He may still like to know about them.

I just replaced my 2006 bike thermostat at 10,000 too. The only thing I can think of is corrosion through electric current. The wire ground on the thermostat makes me believe that they knew about the problem and tried a cheap fix and failed. You would thing they would come with a better thermostat by now to stop that problem. Would removing the wire solve the problem? No current. At least, I was able to install the quartet / accessory plug at the same time. I am getting better at removing the Tupperware. Do like the Tupperware hardware sheet! :)

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I just replaced my 2006 bike thermostat at 10,000 too. The only thing I can think of is corrosion through electric current. The wire ground on the thermostat makes me believe that they knew about the problem and tried a cheap fix and failed. You would thing they would come with a better thermostat by now to stop that problem. Would removing the wire solve the problem? No current. At least, I was able to install the quartet / accessory plug at the same time. I am getting better at removing the Tupperware. Do like the Tupperware hardware sheet! :)

That wire is there to provide the ground reference for the coolant temperature sensor located in the thermostat housing...

Top Bottom