Thermostat symtoms?

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
The last couple of mornings in New England have bounced between 45-65. I've noticed my 06 has been taking longer to get to 3 bars. Last night I was on rte 16 headed south and cruising at an indicated 65mph for about 20 miles. I noticed the indicator bars fluctuate between 2 and 3 bars. This sounds like a thermostat issue. (no leaks, overflow tank is correct level) Is this the indication others are getting? Is this a warranty issue or should I break out my wrenches? Only 11,200 miles!

Would it be smart to combine with 12k service? Sinc throttle bodies?

Thanx in advance - Dean

Byron

STOC #
Dean,

Sounds like it to me. My factory thermostat failed and was replaced with a Turbo City replacement. I thought it was failing and opened it up to find nothing wrong.

Cooler mornings and longer to warm up are probably normal but going from 3 to 2 bars will on the move is not. Other than possibly lower gas mileage nothing will be harmed if not changed/checked. When you choose to do it and if Honda will go in to check it are up to you and them.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Yep, that's classic 'stat. Mine wasn't stuck, but some of the paint overspray and other goop appears to have collected on it and caused it to drag a bit (see picture).

The dealer and Honda might give you a hard time because the gauge is operating "within normal limits." Replacing the thermostat isn't difficult, but you do have to yank the radiator and replace the coolant. Some recommend giving the system a good flush, which probably isn't a bad idea -- it'll help get rid of the remaining goop. Someone posted a procedure awhile back, but I can't remember who it was.

While you're in there, tighten up the hose clamps under there. They tend to leak sometimes, too.

--Mark

Attachments

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Classic t stat failure, just had mine replaced under warrentee, 2 to 3 bars on a 60 degree day at speed. found the t stat stuck wide open. Found the flakes in the overflow tank also when everything was flushed and cleaned. :biker:

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
The last couple of mornings in New England have bounced between 45-65. I've noticed my 06 has been taking longer to get to 3 bars. Last night I was on rte 16 headed south and cruising at an indicated 65mph for about 20 miles. I noticed the indicator bars fluctuate between 2 and 3 bars. This sounds like a thermostat issue. (no leaks, overflow tank is correct level) Is this the indication others are getting? Is this a warranty issue or should I break out my wrenches? Only 11,200 miles!

Would it be smart to combine with 12k service? Sinc throttle bodies?

Thanx in advance - Dean
Sometimes they will work intermittently. I know that sounds strange, but mine did. I could ride 10 miles to work without it reaching 3 bars only to drop back to one bar in the parking lot. After a 100 MPH ride for about 30 miles it started working correctly again. To me, that meant that it was junk. I installed a Turbo Tom T-Stat and have had no problems since. Just pick up a T-Stat from Tom and drop by the Shop one day. I will put it in for FREE!
I'm easy to find in Clovis, Ca. Send me a PM to let me know when you are coming. :biker:

OP
OP
deanrd

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Sometimes they will work intermittently. I know that sounds strange, but mine did. I could ride 10 miles to work without it reaching 3 bars only to drop back to one bar in the parking lot. After a 100 MPH ride for about 30 miles it started working correctly again. To me, that meant that it was junk. I installed a Turbo Tom T-Stat and have had no problems since. Just pick up a T-Stat from Tom and drop by the Shop one day. I will put it in for FREE!
I'm easy to find in Clovis, Ca. Send me a PM to let me know when you are coming. :biker:
Thanx for the info, but I don't believe I'll be riding out to the "left coast" anytime soon enough (as much as I'd like to).

Dean

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I too had the dealer replace mine as it was not closing and had the same symptoms as the others. Honda standard replacement has worked fine since. I have not heard of anyone having a second stat failure. It generally was attributed to foreign substances in the fluid. I had no noticable matter in my cooling system but I was not looking for it either. I can't remember if it failed before or after I changed the coolant?

Top Bottom