Thermostat trouble

The trouble is replacing the Fram brace that blocks removal of the T-stat housing. New T-stat is in, but one of the bolt holes for the frame brace is not visible. It seems to be below the opening. The right side bolt goes in easily, but the left side bolt -- impossible. Anyone ever have this problem -- and resolve it, please? Including to pix of the location. The brace is visible in one shot, and removed in the other.Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.38.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.38.54 AM.png

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Looks like that's on an ST1300, not an ST1100?

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have had that bracket on and off a couple of times without incident. The bolt came out of that hole so, in theory, it should go back in. Has something changed with the loading of the bike since the bracket was removed? Did you have it on the center stand and now it's on the side stand or vice versa? Can you look into the hole and see how far off it is? It's not impossible. It just feels impossible until you find the solution. You got this!

What if you install the brace by screwing in the left bolt first, say, about four turns ... then screw in the right hand bolt (?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SUCCESS!
When I pulled that bolt, it came out easily. But the spacer slid down and covered the threaded hole. Because there was no natural friction to hold the spacer in place, I had to struggle for about 30 minutes to use a long thin screwdriver to manipulate the spacer, reaching in from the left side of the bike. Then I used what fingers I could to help align the bracket and bolt and spacer. Finally, the bolt slid in. I tightened it a little and the went to the other side to start that bolt -- only to discover I had the bracket on upside down. (Of course, this IS the 3rd Monday of the week!) First, the spacer was the problem, then it was the space between my ears that hindered me. Well, 10 more minutes and it's back like it belongs. Next time I have that bracket off (which I hope is never), I think I will wrap the spacer in foil to help provide a slight bit of thickness so the spacer will stay put for the next reinstall. Knock wood!

Special thanks to Dan, ST11Nut. He called it.

Thanks to all of you who offered advice. So grateful.

Attachments

Top Bottom