Thinking about heated gloves or liners.

I'm with Jim... my heated gloves see very little use these days since I added some muffs. More convenient for me than wires. Good thing too cause one side of my controller quit last spring.

I use the covers with regular summer gloves too but wanted to try something different. Sometimes I get annoyed fumbling with the controls I can't see as well. And when I'm going down the road and take my hand out to adjust my Sena and have to put it back in sometimes is awkward to get it back in. I'm thinking of shortening the length a bit to make it easier.

I have been using heated grips and Cabela's ATV Mittens for several years and carry the Gerbing gloves as backup. Takes a few minutes to get used to using the mittens and they are warm down to single digits with my summer gloves. Added benefit-makes for good rain protection.

Jim

Jim are these the ones you are using?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Accessories-QuadGear-ATV-Mitts/716428.uts

Wish I had never gotten rid on my Vetter hippo hands

I do use the first gear glove liners inside leather mittens though... Talk about though to use switches lol

Last edited:
Well I ride a slightly different bike than you guys do...Suzuki Gladius SVF 650, i.e....NAKED, so this may not be helpful, Fred. But in colder weather, I flipflop between Alpinestars GoreTex gloves and a pair of cold-weather gloves Bones gave me (can't remember the make right now) in combination with my heated grips and it works pretty well. The only thing I would add are the "handle bar things that keep the wind off your hands" that Rekoob mentioned! Mind you, I don't ride year-round because I can't (by law). Many of you do. YMMV.

Patty

I've found that heated grips don't do the whole thing. My hands are warm and toasty (or too hot if I turn the control up) on the palm side, but the backs of my hands get surprisingly cold and my fingers stiffen up when I'm wearing thin deerskin gloves in cold weather. It takes maybe 45 minutes or so when the temps are sub 40 F, and I'm going to look for heated gloves this winter.

I've found that heated grips don't do the whole thing. My hands are warm and toasty (or too hot if I turn the control up) on the palm side, but the backs of my hands get surprisingly cold.

Yep... I found when the temperature drops and you have just heated grips you can burn your palm while your knuckles get frostbite.

Well I ride a slightly different bike than you guys do...Suzuki Gladius SVF 650, i.e....NAKED, so this may not be helpful, Fred. But in colder weather, I flipflop between Alpinestars GoreTex gloves and a pair of cold-weather gloves Bones gave me (can't remember the make right now) in combination with my heated grips and it works pretty well. The only thing I would add are the "handle bar things that keep the wind off your hands" that Rekoob mentioned! Mind you, I don't ride year-round because I can't (by law). Many of you do. YMMV.

Patty

Patty, I have a pair of the covers (that I'll be using today actually)for the bars but want to try something different than those. Once it gets below 40 or so I don't like to wear thick gloves and I have issues with my hands getting cold anyway. The covers with heated grips do work great but are awkward to get in and out of, especially while rolling down the road.

I've used both gloves and liners, I personally like the liners better. I can choose which gloves to wear. On days where its extremely cold I can wear with my heavier gloves, but on days where its cold but a lighter pair of gloves work then I choose them. Liners allow that flexibility.

I have used both. HD heated gloves and electric grips on the ST1300 I rode. I prefer the grips. Gloves are nice but on a cool day its really nice just to hit the button and warm your hands. Cost is an issue. The grips do require some labor to install.

Yeah.. nice that the elctric grips are always along for the ride. Don't have to think about planning ahead and bringing them... or for that unexpected need, like a cold rain shower.

I've found that on really cold mornings and a long rides I use both gloves and grips together.

Down to freezing, I found just the Hondaline heated grips and my heated vest keeps me toasty.

Honda OEM heated grips - (4 settings: Low= comfortable, Medium= Hot , High= Too Hot, HIGH HIGH= Never try this at home, heard on bare hands you will occur burns.

Well, I ended up ordering the First Gear Rider/W&S gloves through my dealer. First I got a pair of LG and they were too big. Swapped them out for a MED and they were OK but still seem big on the ends of the fingers. Normally I wear a LG in every glove but my Alpinestars, which are an ExLG.

I hate putting them on and taking them off. The cord binds up under the gauntlet so I can't get it to cover the end of the sleeve. Then when I forget to do something after I put them on there's no dexterity so I have to take them off again- PITA. I would say they are OK, but not real warm, even on high.
I went back to the bar covers and thinner gloves with the heated grips. This is great but they do block some of the mirror.

Yes, I'm picky. :neutral:

I like heated grips too, Fred, but one issue I have with them is when it's really cold, I have to squeeze the grips to get enough heat into my hands. It doesn't take long before that constant isometric makes my hands, arms and shoulders stiff. When it's c-c-c-cold, I find heated gloves are better because I don't have to squeeze the grips so much. PITA to get them on? Yup, but makes the riding a lot more comfortable. PITA to put on riding boots, overpants, ear plugs, helmet...

I wear W&S touring gloves, all leather, substantial make, had them about 5 years, work great.

Last edited:
Seasons Greetings Bones. Here in Jersey I use T-5s and heated grips. When I used the gloves alone my hands were still cold. But the heat from the grips on the inside and the heat from the gloves on the outside help to keep my digits toasty. For what it is worth I just bought a BMW Motorrad 1 piece suit off EBAY. Keeps me warm and more importantly DRY. The best part was I bought it as a closeout from a BMW shop in Utah for half price ($350). I think they still have some listed if anyone is interested.

I installed heated grips and use Olympia winter gloves that are pretty thin, though thicker through the back. On colder days, usually below 35 F, I also wear thin poly pro liners I got in the military. This combination works quite well for me. The funny thing is that with the liners in my dexterity actually improves a bit. I'm sure the heated gloves are great, but I like the simplicity of not having to fool around with plugging in additional wire each time I mount/dismount.

I'm sure the heated gloves are great, but I like the simplicity of not having to fool around with plugging in additional wire each time I mount/dismount.

One mans simplicity, one mans comfort.

I can use just insulated gloves and heated grips down to freezing for the hour commute to work on the highway, but the wind does take it's toll. 3 seconds of plugging in the jacket liner and glove connection, another 10 seconds to plug the gloves in the end of the sleeves, and the 42 miles of slab running are much more comfy.

Now if I wasn't doing 70+ mph on the highway for so long, it might be a different story.

I agree. Good gloves and heated grips are great down to about 45 for all day ride. They will work down to 30 for a hour or so. After that heated gloves are needed to keep the thumbs warm. I commuted with heated grips only for many years. When I did my Lake Superior circle ride in October, I learned I needed heated gloves. The two combined make for perfectly warm hands. The bike hasn't even warmed up yet in the time it takes to plug in the gloves and jacket liner.

Back
Top Bottom