this happen to anyone else but me?

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Both of mine were what I would describe as "layovers"; no injuries and just scratches on the plastic wing covers. I'm a pretty strong guy, but when an ST is going down, it's too heavy for me to stop it. I can only help ease the pain. Anyway, hadn't had the bike long, was very anxious to go ahead and pass the DMV motorcycle road test, so I was practicing in that tiny test "box" where you do all their maneuvers. In SC, the first test is what I found the most difficult. They want you to do four 90 degree slow speed right turns, then four left, and on both they want you to stop on a mark before you've actually completed the last turn. This test area is the size of my living room! My mistakes were, as a newbie, front braking to stop on their mark with the handlebars still turned. Well now, that didn't work out well. Worse for me, I did it twice!!! Happy ending to this story, passed my exam the next week with flying colors, and haven't tipped over since. I hope that'll be the last...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you are in slow speed turns, it is best to lightly use the rear barkes and stay off the front. Just make sure you are not in any oil or water. Then it's time to not use the brakes at all.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
SToked,

I recommend Maximum Control Mastering Your Heaveyweight Bike by Pay Hahn. It contains many good drills for riders of all skill levels. I found it useful for improving my skills.

Dan

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 forget you have a front brake for the slow speed stuff.
Rear brake and friction zone of the clutch to control your speed.
Congrats on passing the test. It's a porker to take to DMV.

Top Bottom