Thoughts on these tires?

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
20230922_064918.jpg20230919_172627.jpg

Dunlop Roadsmart III tires, ST1100, 14,000 miles. Mostly curious about wear on the front.

Edit: replaced fork seals in the spring, so they had been removed recently.

Last edited:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
That’s great that you got 14,000 miles out of them. They still look good to me. I just bought these this spring and I’m really liking them.
The left side gets worn more because of the crown on the road. Are they noisy when you lean in the turns? How are they in the rain?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
That’s great that you got 14,000 miles out of them. They still look good to me. I just bought these this spring and I’m really liking them.
The left side gets worn more because of the crown on the road. Are they noisy when you lean in the turns? How are they in the rain?
OK, I thought that wear might be unusual, they are getting down there and smooth on the left front. Yes, they are noisy in the corners (which there are a LOT of corners) on my daily 40 minute commute through what is basically a forest.
As far as rain, I have stood on the brakes pretty hard more that a few times in the rain, and not as much as a slip or bobble of any kind, and I do not have ABS. I am certainly going to be looking at these for the replacement tires soon.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
OK, I thought that wear might be unusual, they are getting down there and smooth on the left front. Yes, they are noisy in the corners (which there are a LOT of corners) on my daily 40 minute commute through what is basically a forest.
As far as rain, I have stood on the brakes pretty hard more that a few times in the rain, and not as much as a slip or bobble of any kind, and I do not have ABS. I am certainly going to be looking at these for the replacement tires soon.
It is odd that the front looks more worn out than the rear. I can usually get at least 50% more from the fronts as the rears, but change them out anyway. I had Michelin PR3 on front last time and Metzler on the rear, and with the front looking like yours (and noisy) and rear without much tread there was no slip in the rain at all. So I think you are okay for some time (well end of season is approaching fast for the northerners). The noise is due to the different compounds used in the middle and sides so different wear. The only tires I found that didn't have the noise in the corners are the Exedras (they cost so much more than the Dunlops up here for some reason).

Bike
2010 ST1300
Is that a tear or cut on the front (left side, just below one molded tread groove)? I'd be careful on those, you've gotten your money's worth.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Can you ride no-handed and bike doesn't lean or pull to one side?

I've seen uneven wear on front due to mis-aligned wheels. Larry has great idea to verify you can insert bare axle through both fork-ends and spin it easily to make sure fork-tips are even.

I've also had issues with brake-chattering and front-end shakes on my CBR track bike. Replaced everything: fork-bushings, tyres, brake rotors, brake calipers, headset bearings, wheel-bearings. Was almost going to replace forks and fork clamps next when Dave Moss helped me out with this. Order of operation very important, problem solved!! :)

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Is that a tear or cut on the front (left side, just below one molded tread groove)? I'd be careful on those, you've gotten your money's worth.
No, there aren't any cuts, but there is some cupping on that side, and with the light, might make it look like a cut. And, yes I have gotten my money's worth I feel.

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Can you ride no-handed and bike doesn't lean or pull to one side?

I've seen uneven wear on front due to mis-aligned wheels. Larry has great idea to verify you can insert bare axle through both fork-ends and spin it easily to make sure fork-tips are even.

I've also had issues with brake-chattering and front-end shakes on my CBR track bike. Replaced everything: fork-bushings, tyres, brake rotors, brake calipers, headset bearings, wheel-bearings. Was almost going to replace forks and fork clamps next when Dave Moss helped me out with this. Order of operation very important, problem solved!! :)

Great! Thanks for the videos. I did take my hands off the bars once before I even did the fork rebuild, and let me tell you, those handlebars started shaking like a wet dog. I did pull my hands away the other day and it didn't see as violent this time, I might get a little more brave once and give more time to react.
I did follow an order of operation when I assembled, but I can't remember if I used the manual or someone's experience on here. The axle idea makes sense, and I was more that a little concerned about the forks back into the triple tree to the proper depth.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Remember when those tires were new?
Here is what they looked like so you can compare
IMG_4100.jpegIMG_4101.jpeg

I shouldn’t give tire advice as I ran these until later spring and in rain and all felt good ;)
IMG_3777.jpeg

Top Bottom