Throttle sticking in carbs

Bike
Honda ST1100 abs/tcs
So I pulled the carbs to fix the coolant leak. When I reassembled, I connected the crankcase breather line to the fuel drains. Figured that out, pulled the carbs, reassembled. Throttle is hard after a 1/4 turn, catching or sticking. I checked the cable and it is good. Pulled the carbs. I cannot see anything visibly rubbing or damaged. I do not have much experience working on carbs.

Any quick thoughts of where to look, what to check and consider? I will note there is a plate mounted on the front of the throttle (for cruise control).

All comments appreciated! I have been looking on here, but the words throttle stuck do not search well!

Never seen the carbs on an 1100 (my 13 is FI) but I've worked on quite a few over the years. So, some general comments. Are the carbs binding or is it the linkage attached to them? There are a few threads here that discuss removing the carbs that caution you to be careful to not bend anything when removing them from the engine. Detach the cable and see if they bind when you move the linkage by hand (now you know if its the carbs or the cable). This is going to be a process to narrow the field of possibliites - once you know what is rubbing you can take corrective action. I assume nothing else (an errant hose, perhaps) is in the way and interfering w/ movement?

Make sure the clamps on the isolators (rubber tubes between the carbs and block) are oriented correctly. If the clamps are rotated from their proper position you can get the binding behavior. IIRC the front right isolator (from rider position) is the problematic one for clamp orientation.

The carb is off the bike and it is the linkage that is binding. I will check the clamp orientation again, but all the points on the isolators are towards the outside. I will get a picture of the clamps. When the crankcase vent was connected to the 4 way, that had it then lying in the path of the right side linkage action. I bet those are bent. I will take a look. Perhaps I can search some "bent linkage" threads. I am going to work on it some this weekend, but am travelling next week.

Good news is fall colors and I still have my other bike!

Ok, I ran out and took some pictures. Looks like the linkage between sides on the carb is rubbing a support. I need to remedy that.41F8639E-2EB6-48E7-B455-BDF6FCCB5BFF.jpeg

I straightened out that piece. It barely needed to be tweaked and it cleared nicely. Working good now. I would love to do some r&r on the carbs while I am in this deep, but I can crack it again later I guess. Pulling carbs os easy now that I have practiced.

Back
Top Bottom