Throttlemeister insert.

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I need a little help. My Throttlemeister is not working, and i need to pull the insert out of the bar. Has anyone taken one out and if so is there a trick to it? I called Throttlemeister and they said it should come right out. I wish. Thanks for the help. Peter

Before you take it out, what "isn't working" about your Throttlemeister? If it's not holding the throttle in place, perhaps all it needs is to be adjusted properly. Mine was getting finicky a couple years ago so I took off the bar end, made sure everything was clean and aligned, then put it back on the bar and adjusted it holds the throttle with about a 1/8 turn. Been working fine ever since.

Before you take it out, what "isn't working" about your Throttlemeister? If it's not holding the throttle in place, perhaps all it needs is to be adjusted properly. Mine was getting finicky a couple years ago so I took off the bar end, made sure everything was clean and aligned, then put it back on the bar and adjusted it holds the throttle with about a 1/8 turn. Been working fine ever since.

Scott, the throttle will not lock when applied and i am not sure what kind of adjustment i can make on it. Everything looked good when i took the bar end off,the piece in the bar end moves but not as freely as i think it should and it looks sealed so lubrication is out. I called Throttlemeister and they sent me a new sleeve and a bushing to try but all the bushing did was tighten the the tube so you could not move it at all. Any thoughts? Thanks Peter.

I've had to wrangle mine out a couple times, to install and then readjust new grips, which had an internal throttle tube. I had to twist and pull at the same time and broke a couple o-rings each time. Throttlemeister sent me new rings each time (for a price). You might be able to push it in a little to allow the TM to meet up with the friction ring.

Bill

I just went and looked at mine. I rotated it clockwise a couple times to get it out of adjustment. Make it a bit wobbly. It took more rotations counterclockwise to get it to engage again but it's back into adjustment. There's also the Allen nut in the bar end that can be tightened or loosened a bit.

Kind of hard to diagnose the problem without it in front of me but I'd be looking at the various ways to adjust it before taking it apart.

I just had mine apart for the same reason. Over time mine has loosened up to the point where it was just catching but wouldn't lock securely. When you tighten the Throttlemeister you'll see it rotate/expand towards the throttle tube end. I just removed the Allen bolt and removed the end. Inside they come with washers that act as spacers. I had to mix and match various thicknesses of washers to get back to the tension I liked. It was purely trial & error. Mine now releases fully and locks very tight when rotated. I hope that helps.

Hi All:
Not sure if my problem with the Throttlemeister belongs in this thread but couldn't find another one. Here is the background information: I bought the bike with which appears to be the Throttlemeister but not quite sure as there is a big gap between the grips and the bar end. I think there is something missing as when turning the bar end the Throttlemeister mechanism doesn't reach the grip to create the friction to lock it. Here are some pics so you know what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 14
That piston that comes in and out when you turn the TM is supposed to contact a friction ring tucked under the grips. I don't see the friction ring and the TM is placed way too far out to do anything anyway. You should be able to readjust the insert to bring the TM a little closer to the bar end.

Looks to me like the insert shoulder has worn off... It may need to be replaced. You can tell by the bulge in the grip that it's there. If it hasn't worn off you can loosen the throttle Meister and move it in or you may need to remove it and take out a washer (used as shims to adjust) to reduce that gap.

Peter the insert in the handle bar needs to be adjusted in a little bit 1/8"or 3mm, so when you reinstall the end cap and rotate the locking cam the throttle stays on. It takes a few time to get it where you want it, and yes some times it needs to be adjusted. Would the instruction booklet help? I still have mine.
Lyle

Peter the insert in the handle bar needs to be adjusted in a little bit 1/8"or 3mm, so when you reinstall the end cap and rotate the locking cam the throttle stays on. It takes a few time to get it where you want it, and yes some times it needs to be adjusted. Would the instruction booklet help? I still have mine.
Lyle

Good morning Lyle and thanks for the info. I got a little frustrated with it and pulled it off back in August. I went old school and went back to the thumb lock set up of years ago. Works great. I will look at it again in the spring to see if i want it back on or not. My riding season ended a little early due to a wrist operation i
needed to have. Be safe my friend and will see you in the spring and my best to your bride. Peter.

Back
Top Bottom