Time to get my hands dirty

Bike
St1100
I guess that it is time to start on my 40 amp upgrade. Any advice as to where to buy the parts? I ride a '93 ST-1100 and my 28 amp alternator failed to keep the battery charged. I looked at some of the videos and postings of some people who have already been through the whole thing, and would welcome any tips or advice. I am currently making a hole to work in. Can you believe that my kids think my garage is a storage unit?DSCF2663.jpg

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Jim,

Lots of good info here in the ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom (AOW), including video):
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942

Here's the upgrade loaner tool kit (must be registered):
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

If you offer eats and adult beverages you could host your own little UpgradeSTOC and lure an experienced upgrader or two to supervise.

I suspect some recent upgraders can chime in on parts source(s).

Good luck!

John

from MI via iPhone 4S

OP
OP
Bike
St1100
Thanks for everything so far, John. I started skinning her and cleaning her bottom. Made the plunge and ordered parts from Partzilla.com. I didn't order the drive parts, because I was not sure that the listed parts would fit my bike. The last time I bought a rear tire, the mechanic said that soon I should change the "rubber parts". I may be slow, but I'm not quick!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
The loaner kit will make this job much easier! The little pull pin threaded through the oil pan is a genius trick.

OP
OP
Bike
St1100
Parts are on the way. Rear tire removed. That's when I discovered that the "professionals" who have removed and replaced my rear tire at least a half-dozen times neglected to tell me that my drive splines are worn out! Back to the piggy bank!

OP
OP
Bike
St1100
I officially declare the alternator upgrade a success! Didn't get to test is very well with the tank out, but now, with the tank back in it checks out fine. With the final drive from freestyle-don, I will be ready for some much-needed wind therapy when my wheel parts come in next week! Thanks to everybody that helped directly, by posting those great pictures and instructions. It made an impossible task possible. I guess that my e-Mail never made it to John, but with all his sage advice, I was able to manufacture the couple of necessary tools to do the job. All-in-all it was pretty expensive, but I will have a practically new bike with no money left for gas to go anywhere! I might have to go greet some folks at Wal-Mart for a while!!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Congrats, Jim.

I did get an email from you. That's when I called you instead of replying. I did send you my contact info via email somewhat later.

John

Top Bottom