Tip Over #2

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, it happened again... another tip over. My first was in a sandy field a few years ago. This one was this morning backing out of my garage... as usual, I backed out to do a K-turn to turn around. My k-turn takes my back wheel just off my gravel driveway, which is elevated a little. Sometimes I hit the slope at an angle so I always have to be careful. This time, fully loaded and top heavy with camping gear, it started over and I couldn't hold it. It didn't stop when the engine guard hit, it just kept going over until the wheels were full up, thus it cracked the right mirror cover and the engine guard cover. I had to get my son to help me get it up since it was so far over. TBH, I was surprised at how heavy it was. My last tip over didn't go over near this far and it wasn't that hard to get up.

In any case, we got it upright, I glued/taped the cracked mirror housing, reloaded my gear, started it up and off to work I went. Then, I'm off to RanchSTOC this afternoon!

IMG_4393.jpg IMG_4394.jpg IMG_4395.jpg

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Bummer...!!! But you have the right attitude....pick her up, dust her off, a little 50mph tape.....and go..!!

Have fun at Ranchstoc.

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, that's a total bummer! Sorry to hear you couldn't keep it up! :eek:4:

Time to improve that part of the driveway? :well1:

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well that sucks!
I've made it a rule that if the bike is going to be loaded up I take the bags off then move it.
Now you tell me! ;)

Of course, I've backed it out loaded dozens of times, but this time it got me. I've come close a few times so I should have been more careful or loaded up after turning around.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Time to improve that part of the driveway? :well1:
My wife said the same thing!

Yep, I plan to pour a concrete apron in front of the garage. Of course, I've been 'planning' to do that for quite a while now. ;)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
OUCH! I dare say, that hard a drop on the mirror may have tweaked the antlers on that side. Won't be noticeable until you pull the fairing off, then find the antler to mirror bolt holes won't line up with the fairing again.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
OUCH! I dare say, that hard a drop on the mirror may have tweaked the antlers on that side. Won't be noticeable until you pull the fairing off, then find the antler to mirror bolt holes won't line up with the fairing again.
Thanks for that tip Bush, I'll check it out a little closer. It didn't seem that hard (I tried to let it down 'gently') and I was surprised the mirror housing cracked like it did.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks for that tip Bush, I'll check it out a little closer. It didn't seem that hard (I tried to let it down 'gently') and I was surprised the mirror housing cracked like it did.
It will likely be apparent just by removing the mirror. The fairing is somewhat flexible and once the two bolts are removed, if the antler was bent, the holes in the fairing will move back to normal position, but no longer line up with the antler. This happened to my '95, :eek: just weeks after it was new, when it fell over on some soft grass. Tweaked the antler just enough the bolts wouldn't go, so I filed the fairing holes out slightly, with a rat tail file, in order to get the mirror bolts back in. Antlers are crazy expensive and very, very difficult to repair to original shape.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for that bit of detail Bush, it will help.

CELarson

Looking forward to my next ride....
Site Supporter
At least you weren't hurt (except for pride:D). I have done the same thing on occasion or two, but not is such a grand style.
On the bright side you, can spin a fanciful tale at the fireside:cf1: of how you were rushed by a pack of flesh eating rabbits and barely escaped with your life...

Ride safe

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well that sucks!
I've made it a rule that if the bike is going to be loaded up I take the bags off then move it.
Note to Self: file this tip away but don't tell anybody that you may need it.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
On the bright side you, can spin a fanciful tale at the fireside:cf1: of how you were rushed by a pack of flesh eating rabbits and barely escaped with your life...
Yes, and they had nasty, big, pointy teeth! Escape was possible only with the help of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom