Tip over avoided...

I have not dropped my ST1300 as yet. But, it came damn close a few days ago. I'm only posting this because I think I know how I saved it.

I think the ST is a bit high gravity centered anyway, so, I've become mindful of 'paying attention'... (I dropped my Suzuki Bking after parking on a downward slope that was very subtle, with the kickstand releasing on me, so I'm wary of that one now!) But, in this case, I don't recall why it happened because it was so sudden. I started to feel I was losing the bike to the right side. Why, I have no idea and it's a big blur now...

But, when it was going, I recall pushing really hard with my right leg and not letting it cave in, at the same time, somehow, the handlebars swung to the left and hit their locked point. Because I had something to lever against, I was able to right the bike with my arms.

That was sort of an epiphany to me... I have dropped previous bikes not realizing I could benefit from pushing and pulling against the handlebars at their max point. So, rather then holding up a bike with a free swinging handlebar, if you get lucky and your brain kicks in, maybe you can swing the handlebars really fast in the opposite direction of the fall. Then push and pull like hell with arms and leg. In my case, my brain didn't help me, somehow the handlebars just got in that position enabling me to recover!

I do have the rear tip over bars. So, I do feel minor damage will happen if I lose the bike... But three things:

1) Who wants to drop their bike!
2) Who wants even minor damage
3) I'm pretty certain with 3 back surgeries, I'm not going to get the bike up on my own using any method at all.

:)

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
I'm pretty sure you can get it upright again unless you tipover with unusual circumstances. You should be able to locate the video on Youtube that shows a tried and true method to stand them back up. I've been lucky and only had to use it once, but it works. Look at it before you need it.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Thanks for the insights. Dunno if I will remember them when the time comes..and I certainly don't want to practice;). I'll keep it in the back of my mind though. :04biker:

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I think you run a much greater risk of being 'out of position' and hurting yourself worse trying for a save than letting it go and establish a good lift. The tip over bars and engine tip over points will keep the bike from getting any scratches (assuming level-ish ground). Don't ask how I know!

Bike
Red
STOC #
If you turn your handlebars to the left the bike will want to fall over to the right even more. While stationary sitting on the bike turn the handlebars to the left, the bike will want to fall to the right. Pushing against the handlebars is one option for lifting the bike and a great leverage but getting to that state likely caused some strain.

If you have a bad back picking up the bike with your butt in the seat shouldn't cause any strain on your back whatsoever.

Top Bottom