Tipped over in VA

STOC6366

Doug
Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
I was at Fort Belvoir for a few weeks in school (I work for the Army as a civilian), and trailered my '97 ST1100 so I could ride on the weekends. I pulled out my trusty Rand-McNalley, closed my eyes, dropped my finger on Paint Bank, VA...off to the races via the back roads. Plugged the town in my Zumo 550, and off I went.

I was on some back road, no lanes, somewhere in the Shenendoah valley area, and came across a picturesque place and decided to stop for a picture. The road was slanted left to right at what I thought was a 'slight' angle. So, I stopped, pushed the kickstand down, and in doing so, pushed the bike over to the right. Before I knew it, I was saying "Oh, sugar honey iced tea..." and the bike was on it's side and continued to roll on the roll guard until the front wheel was off the ground and I was losing oil. Needless to say, I was able to lift it back up enough to get the oil to stop coming out, and hold it. No more than 2-3 minutes later, a good farmer/funeral home owner comes down the road, sees me nearly under the bike and stops. He thought I was pinned under with a broken leg or something, and was very happy I wasn't hurt (other than my pride and a break-away mirror cover). We heaved Trigger back upright, checked the oil, and talked about the Statler Brothers while I got my wind back and bearings back in order.
Picture of where I was is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/douglas.d.fowler/August2007VirginiaBikeRide/photo#5100479883746361234

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Sorry for the tumble, but Trekker is right. It's pretty cool to see how many people will stop and help you out when you're in a jam.

John

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
A few of us rode in that area back in May, were there any Bison along that road ?

Bike
07 ST1300A
Doug, sorry to hear about your tip over. You were just around the corner from where I work, in Newington (just off Backlick Road).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Gotta love those tip-over wings... you just gotta love them... I don't think Honda was thinking clearly when they put those on... they could have added millions of $$ from selling plastic if they'd have left them off.

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:eek:4:

I find that I have to push my ST1100 past center to get the side stand up. Gets pretty precarious if I'm not watching the angle of the place I park her!:eek:4: I've ALMOST done the same thing...

Gotta say: I love the pics in your photo album! Must've been a great ride! Thanks for posting those!!:clap2:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Douglas!
Sorry 'bout the TO, but you got to meet a good Samaritan AND get some great pics!

STOC #
And I think it is amazing that Buell is including very similar tip over protection for their new sport bike, the 1125R. If only more companies thought about this.

G

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Sorry about the TO, glad you were okay. Sure enjoyed viewing your pics. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom