Tire Pressure Monitor

OP
OP
Slk

Slk

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Thank you guys for giving very useful informations. After researching for almost two weeks, I bought a Steelmate TPMS with internal sensor. Should be delivered this Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
There is an internal option.

I'm using the Orange M202 with internal sensors. Had it on 2nd bike now. Works great and as far as I know dead on accurate on internal temperature and pressure.
Same for me - hoping that I can still get replacement sensors (when batteries go bad)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The BMW system compensates for temperature fluctuations. Here is an article on how they are set up. Interesting that they recommend setting the psi according to ambient temp and then letting the system do the rest. May explain why my friend's RT does not fluctuate much (maybe 1-2psi) during a ride, whereas my aftermarket ones will go up by 10-12 lbs on a hot day with "spirited" riding.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
a Steelmate TPMS with internal sensor. Should be delivered this Sunday. Looking forward to it.
Hoep you report how it works, or doesn't. My system will die at somepoint and I would like to have another internal monitor to use in it's place.

Same for me - hoping that I can still get replacement sensors (when batteries go bad)
From what I know... nope! At least not for me. I have the 1st generation, the 2nd generation M202 system/sensors they say is not compatible.
I think our only distributor (RR tools) gave up on 'em.
Sucks! I like my unit.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
From what I know... nope! At least not for me. I have the 1st generation, the 2nd generation M202 system/sensors they say is not compatible.
I think our only distributor (RR tools) gave up on 'em.
Sucks! I like my unit.
My 1st gen did not like the new sensors that I bought from Taiwan a few years back, so they sent me a completely new 2nd gen system. This has worked flawlessly and it has a much better screen than the 1st gen (easier to read). The original sensors still work, but will eventually die. If I cannot get new sensors I may try to open them up and replace the battery.

OP
OP
Slk

Slk

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
So I got the Steelmate TPMS with internal sensors today. Hopped on the bike and about to take off to a reputable local mechanic that knows the ST1300 inside out. But then I decided to call ahead to make sure the guy is vacant. To my surprise, after I told him these are after market internal sensors, he said he’d pass. And he advised me to go with external sensors. He said something like the after market sensors are large and can easily ruin the tire....... as he has a strong accent I can’t really understand what he exactly wanted to explain. Anyone had negative experience of installing internal sensors?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Nope, never heard a negative. I bet he hezrd a story about somebody who had a cousin that once knew some who heard from their best buddy about an issue that a friend of mine had.

Seriously, rebalancing after mounting and ride. Just ride!!

Reactions: Slk
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If internal, just don't damage them at tire change time. But, what if you want to change the batteries? Nothing wrong with external IMHO... even better on T=stems.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
I use a special blend that has 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon, plus a wee bit of water vapour.

Michael
Sounds like the same brand I use!
I use a TPMS on my motorhome but have never thought about putting one on a bike!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
Nope, never heard a negative. I bet he hezrd a story about somebody who had a cousin that once knew some who heard from their best buddy about an issue that a friend of mine had.
Yeah it's be interesting to know the guy's reservations. I went with external mainly for the ease of installation and that the internals (or most of them) called for replacement when the battery died instead of just replacing the battery.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I went with external mainly for the ease of installation and that the internals (or most of them) called for replacement when the battery died instead of just replacing the battery.
Sounds like a carb vs fuel injection comparison. I can work on a carburetor, yeah, but I don't need to work on modern fuel injection.

Internal-external same thing, you can change batteries, in 6+ years, I've had one internal battery die.

Now that I wrote this... the rest die tomorrow!

Top Bottom