Tire wear rear St1100 - time to change ?

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I thought my rear Roadsmart 3 's looked worn . But measuring , I find I've still got 2mm down to the wear bars .Note - Those wear bars are so low , they are really hard to find/ see , 1mm height . I don't have any complaints as of yet , but I don't want to find out the hard way. They have 2017 date , milage unknown - Came with the bike- I have put 5000 km /3000 miles on them .Rains a lot here (I dont drive in the rain ) and no strait roads ! What ya think , Time to change or hold out a little longer ?. New Bridgestone T 31 is on it's way any how.
DSC_0458.JPG

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
I would guess you might get another 2000 km out of them, so if there are no issues and if that will last you to the end of riding season, well flip a coin and do whatever you decide anyway :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you ride conservatively and not in the rain, probably no problem at all to let it go until winter (I assume you don't ride in Norway in the winter). However, there is always a bit of uncertainty - what if you get caught in a squall type downpour, or needing to brake suddenly and your bike hits a road section with less grip. We cannot predict what can go wrong, but we can take steps to mitigate the consequences.

You only posted one pic, but it looks to me like you have little to no tread in the center part of the tire. The cords are very close to that surface under the rubber. I'd swap out the tire as soon as possible, but that's because I try to avoid the foreseeable problems before they happen. Finances and riding time before winter also affect this decision. YMMV.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
The wear bar is in the photo - thats where I first could see it , I couldn't find them looking at tire - Longest ridge LH side. They are so low ,there is nothing left when you get there. I bought a new tire based on the looks of the old tire . It does look worn in the middle , but has 3mm left on the groves next to the wear bar. I'll get them on , even if dosent rain roads can be damp and one might need that little extra.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I don't know about the Dunlop, but some brands (Metzeler for one) has an indicator on the sidewall of where to look for wear bars, since they can be hard to locate. Metzeler uses a tiny elephant logo. The OP has found his, but this bit of info may be of help to others.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Looks like lots of life left in that tire yet. Depends on your budget and your next planned trip whether you need to or want to replace it.
I'm never a fan of running down to the inner canvas etc and usually discard a tire well before that, but yours is still ok to me.
Since you already have new tires, chances are they will get installed. :)

Take care

Bike
VStrom 650
It's down to the TWI's. It looks squared off and it has been known to rain in Norway unexpectedly.
I'd change, but that's me.
Plus you obviously should comply with whatever your local laws require.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Looks like lots of life left in that tire yet. Depends on your budget and your next planned trip whether you need to or want to replace it.
I'm never a fan of running down to the inner canvas etc and usually discard a tire well before that, but yours is still ok to me.
Since you already have new tires, chances are they will get installed. :)

Take care
I think it still is ok , I haven't noticed anything , but I don't push them anywhere near the limits ( I hope ! ) . No big trips planed , but ya never know. The local tire gave me a decent price . Now have it if I need it. Must admit , I have wanted a new T31 rear to match front . I have tried to get the GT version of T31 or T32 , but other than one dealer , who wanted way to much for it , it dosen't seem like anyone here had those.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
My 94 is in the same category- down to ~ 1/32” tread and maybe just at the wear bars (~ 7000 miles)- I can get in a couple of fair weather rides (2-3 of them) but then it’s time to switch them out- I agree, ride but monitor carefully and don’t take any long distance rides with them.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
It's down to the TWI's. It looks squared off and it has been known to rain in Norway unexpectedly.
I'd change, but that's me.
Plus you obviously should comply with whatever your local laws require.
Upt'North.
Yea, That middle section is starting look a little funky

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I'm as cheap as the next fella, but I think I'd change it out unless maybe your riding season ends soon and the new tires will sit on the ground in one spot until spring. I'm nearing bald on my rear mountain bike tire hoping the end of season sales will start happening, but the stakes are nowhere near as high.

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
That tire "might" be Ok for another 1000 miles, but one thing that all somewhat worn tires have in common is the diminished distance between the outside of the tire and the inside of the tire. What an unworn tire can sluff off, a somewhat worn tire cannot.

This somewhat alleviates the problem of premature tire wear.

Top Bottom