Top Box _ Down Low

For 8 or 9 crappy reasons my X-country ride this year failed to launch. I have a top box left over from a GoldWing that I was going to use for the trip.
But now that I have time, I am considering the alternative of a low mounted box off the rear instead of a traditional top box.
I looked for a retail product but could only find an Italian company that makes something like I want but for GWs. And they cost about the same as a used sports bike. I don't mind making one, but if anyone knows of a "store bought" unit, please speak up.
If I make one I'll start with buying a ST1300 trailer hitch for the base mount, Then use "foam core" construction with carbon fiber. The rear side will have a second set of taillights and license plate holder. A conventional trailer plug harness will connect them. Here is a starter sketch of what I have in mind.
1668907461820.png

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Can you post a link to what you found?

Keep in mind a trailer hitch expects more front/rear force than downward, so pay attention to tongue-weight capacity.

Interesting concept, although it looks like the bike in the drawing has a loaded diaper.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
NVDucati
Can you post a link to what you found?

Keep in mind a trailer hitch expects more front/rear force than downward, so pay attention to tongue-weight capacity.

Interesting concept, although it looks like the bike in the drawing has a loaded diaper.
As regards the downward forces, The hitches have vertical struts that go straight up to the frame.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I have the Denray vertical hanging strut model hitch. It says 50lbs max.
The non strut model (Trueman hitch) says 30lbs max.

That 30/50lbs needs to be added into the max weight capacity for the bike including rider/pillion/luggage.

I think the GVWR for an ST1300 is 505kg, 1,118 lbs. Remove the bike's base weight and those extras above max out at 182kg, 418 lbs (402 lbs abs.)

I know I'm over that fully loaded 2 up...

So you may get more weight allowance with a strut model hitch, but you'll still reach a cap. Adding that weight to the rear will lighten the front end to some extent, just like adding it up high makes the bike more tippy.

I'm not saying don't do it, rather just be safe about whatever you decide.

1668911326462.png

1668911532432.png

And all that said perhaps the few options for low trunks are indicative of why folks go for trailers, even small ones like Unigos. You get the same amount of storage (or more) with better weight distribution.

1668912323180.png

OP
OP
NVDucati
I have the Denray vertical hanging strut model hitch. It says 50lbs max.
The non strut model (Trueman hitch) says 30lbs max.

That 30/50lbs needs to be added into the max weight capacity for the bike including rider/pillion/luggage.

I think the GVWR for an ST1300 is 505kg, 1,118 lbs. Remove the bike's base weight and those extras above max out at 182kg, 418 lbs (402 lbs abs.)

I know I'm over that fully loaded 2 up...

So you may get more weight allowance with a strut model hitch, but you'll still reach a cap. Adding that weight to the rear will lighten the front end to some extent, just like adding it up high makes the bike more tippy.

I'm not saying don't do it, rather just be safe about whatever you decide.

And all that said perhaps the few options for low trunks are indicative of why folks go for trailers, even small ones like Unigos. You get the same amount of storage (or more) with better weight distribution.
Thanks for that Obo. Solid points, all.
Taking your last point, first: Actually I have a nice little trailer, again, from a previous GW. I don't mind trailers but I find them a bit of an overly monogamous marriage. ;)
And you are right about the temptation to overload. I'm not insensitive to weights and balance (pilot). Because nothing has been built yet, I don't have the math at hand. But a part of my assessment is that the load shift aft is smaller than the load shift down. If I'm right ... the trade off between "tippy" and front wheel bias should be ~ favorable. At least under braking.
This bike doesn't have a passenger seat, so there's that.
One unknown is ... will a low down box with its' longer "waterline" and less drag turbulence lean us toward better fuel range?
Always happy to get more things to consider in advance. Thanks

Reactions: Obo
Bike
VStrom 650
NVDucati, just curious, why? Why not just put the box where it should be by design?
Like I say just curious as it seems a long winded way to provide extra luggage space, unless you like wheelies of course.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
NVDucati, just curious, why? Why not just put the box where it should be by design?
Like I say just curious as it seems a long winded way to provide extra luggage space, unless you like wheelies of course.
Upt'North.
+1

1 - how much do you plan on packing?
2- are you wanting JUST stuff behind you or both on a traditional top box AND that rearward extra storage?

Honestly, the approach looks odd and ugly to me vs a traditional top box but, sometimes function over form works so just curious as to why.

I can do a 2 month trip across the country several times and just use what I can pack on my rear seat/top box/saddlebags and be just fine. Others need a trailer for such a trip. I've tried a uni-go in the past but just realized the more space I create the more I bring and the more I may end up not using at all. Everyone is different and not as much of a minimalist as I am so that's just my opinion for what little that's worth.

I also tried the pak-it rack type of setup on the ST1300 at one point but was still more of a hassle than it was worth.

1668944336994.png

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The swingarm bearing is the fulcrum point. Load up 50 pounds 4 feet back and it weighs like 150 would on the seat top.

I'm just guessing numbers but look at that lever off the swingarm bearing in the picture.

OP
OP
NVDucati
Upt'North.
Ahha, I should have said at the start that the whole notion is to not have a top box at all. This isn't in addition to one, it is a replacement. In fact, it won't carry as much as the largest top boxes. The other thing I should have explained at the start is the the width is between the side bags. The length (undetermined) won't be much more than needed to accommodate a helmet.
@W0QNX mentions the leveraged load. The the Denray vertical hanging strut model hitch, as noted by @Obo, changes that calculation.
I'm actually a fairly minimalist traveler. I do, however, enjoy the luxury of having two jackets on a trip;).
Overall, I want to things out of the rain, wind and temptation. I've used top boxes and enjoyed their utility. I love having a place to stash my tank bag. But for years I've contemplated ... another way.
Still happy to take in more opinions and suggestions.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Where did you find those pictures?

I remember those 2 bikes being for sale years ago.

Top Bottom