Top box spoiler wiring - how to?

Just got my spoiler attached to the Honda top box and now need to wire up. The instructions said to pull out a brake light socket and splice into the wires. Not much room or lenght of wire to work with at the brake light socket area.

Any other suggests, as to how to splice into the brake light system?

PS...sure didn't like the drilling part, but the spoiler mounted up perfectly

STOC #
If you want to avoid splicing, you can tap into the brake light circuit up under the fairing on the front left of the bike where the accessory harness plugs in. Please verify the following wire colors - you could get some Hitachi OEM style plugs and keep it CLEAN! I spliced into the wires down by the taillights - wasn't real clean or neat.

Anybody else that could verify this please chip in.

From an old post somewhere?

"There is also an auxiliary accessory plug on your ST. This option connector is on the left side of the bike under the gas tank, and has 6 wires. Green is ground. Light blue is hot when the right turn signal is on.Orange is hot when the left turn signal is on. White/Green is hot when the brake light is on. One Red/Green wire is an available spare circuit fused at 15 amps, listed in your primary fuse box (switched power) as ACC or Hazard/ACC, on when the ignition key is on ON or ACC. The sixth wire is also Red/Green, on always, fused at 10 amps, listed in your secondary fuse box (direct to battery power) as Battery / Clock Backup. This wire is always hot. So, you can tell them apart by turning your bike off and seeing which one is still hot. "

:03biker:

Burger

mmmm hamburgers...
Bike
BMW K1600GT SE
STOC #
Wintston said:
Just got my spoiler attached to the Honda top box and now need to wire up. The instructions said to pull out a brake light socket and splice into the wires. Not much room or lenght of wire to work with at the brake light socket area.

Any other suggests, as to how to splice into the brake light system?

PS...sure didn't like the drilling part, but the spoiler mounted up perfectly
If you wiggle the tail/brake light socket around a bit you should be able to get 3 to 4 inches to hang down. It also helps if you remove both bulbs and not just one.

Personally I didn't like the array of plugs and sockets that they supply and so I simply cut the wires and then soldered them back together with the top box harness, finishing off with some heat shrink tubing. While I was there I also spliced into the tail lamp circuit to give me power for my starcom intercom in the tail. In future this can trigger a relay if I want to add more.

As I had to slide the heat shrink on first, I peeled about 1 inch of the standard wiring loom wrap back first. Bit fiddly, but I figured it's a permanent fixture so why bother with more plugs and sockets?

Regards,

Last edited:
Top Bottom