Total loss of power

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
There you go…check the article above to bypass the valve- the bike will run fine again. At that point, you can leave it as is, repair the valve with a kit, or get a new one from Honda (I believe Partzilla.com has them). Glad you found it vs an extensive search. Bypass appears quite easy (I haven’t had to do mine yet…yet…)

By the way, how many miles (or km) on your ST?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The whole thing has P/N 16970-MT3-003 and comes at a pretty steep price (like € 170,- over here)

So either google (or perform a direct eBay search) for "GL1500 fuel petcock rebuild kit"; (the old Wing uses the same thing) contains all spares required and prices start at around € 17,-...

The debate if to repair or toss it and keep a permanent bypass is kinda religious...
I see it as safety relevant and won't question the Honda engineers in this... ;)

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
The whole thing has P/N 16970-MT3-003 and comes at a pretty steep price (like € 170,- over here)

So either google (or perform a direct eBay search) for "GL1500 fuel petcock rebuild kit"; (the old Wing uses the same thing) contains all spares required and prices start at around € 17,-...

The debate if to repair or toss it and keep a permanent bypass is kinda religious...
I see it as safety relevant and won't question the Honda engineers in this... ;)
Thanks for the info, mamaged to find a gl1500 valve kit on ebay for £10

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Thanks for the info, managed to find a gl1500 valve kit on ebay for £10
Good luck on the repair! Hope that fixes it.

I would familiarize myself with the by pass procedure in case the fix doesn't solve the problem long term. It can be done easily with just a couple tools. I had a failure on my ride to the BRG last fall.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
You guys are making me nervous- on May 8th, my brother and I are headed out to Robbinsville, NC to meet a few other riders to ride in the Smokies for ~ 4 days- we’re taking both STs- I’m taking tools just in case but am wondering if I should pre-emptively bypass before the ride. I likely won’t, just conjecture.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
As long as you are aware of the symptoms and how to bypass the valve you should be good to go.

It takes me longer to get the plastic off than to bypass the valve.

A pair of pliers for the hose clamps and a screw driver to remove a screw from the mounting bracket to plug the vacuum hose.

Go have fun!! :thumb:

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
There you go…check the article above to bypass the valve- the bike will run fine again. At that point, you can leave it as is, repair the valve with a kit, or get a new one from Honda (I believe Partzilla.com has them). Glad you found it vs an extensive search. Bypass appears quite easy (I haven’t had to do mine yet…yet…)

By the way, how many miles (or km) on your ST?
28,000 mile

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Excellent! Glad it was a rather straightforward issue and your ST will be whole again and roadworthy soon. If it fails again, just leave it out as many have done here.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
Excellent! Glad it was a rather straightforward issue and your ST will be whole again and roadworthy soon. If it fails again, just leave it out as many have done here.
Yep I have an emergency toolkit under the seat to do just that

Top Bottom